Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The New Ampeg svt 6 pro

krellman

Okay,,,I'm going to try to qualify my opinion by telling you what I have been playing through.I have been lucky enough to have acquired a Walter Woods ultra high power amp witch I love.I also own a Krell power amp that I have been pareing up with a Manley Voxbox.In a word....AWSOME! I have owned or played through just about every pease of gear there is.So The ampeg 6 has exceeded my exspectations.The headroom is impressive at any EQ settings, as you may know that with drastic EQ curves, you could lose some volume and trying to use the master to bring the volume back can deplete your headroom. This thing gets loud,but just being loud is not good enough. BASS PLAYERS MUST HAVE TONE! And the 6 has a great sound

F L A T, right out the box, but the parametric is well voiced if you need it. You can get just about anything you want out of it.So to summarize.....IT'S BAD...GET ONE!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please allow me to playa' hate

I have been lucky enough to have acquired a Walter Woods ultra high power amp witch I love.I also own a Krell power amp that I have been pareing up with a Manley Voxbox.In a word....AWSOME! I have owned or played through just about...
That's just braggin' :D

Welcome to the Lowdown.

Do you sell Ampeg gear? Heads seem to be the last thing you'd be in the market for. But I'll trade you a couple of cabs, a hog and three sheep for the Woods, then you'll have an excuse to get the Ampeg. ;)

www.ethertonswitch.com

Well, the three "heads" you re talking about are all very different. I wouldn't be suprised if you jsut found a "type" or class of head you are more happy with. I know SteveC on this board was not pleased with the sound of his lightweight head and mvoed back to an eden which has a design that's more like an aguilar db750, ampeg svt3pro, at least in comparison to the woods/ai ulta light heads.

I'm somewhat suprised that the svt6pro blows the krell/moanley combo out of the water, but then I've heard that the krell can be have too much low end emphasis and the manley is an old school-sounding mic pre if I'm not mistaken, based on the neve circuit IIRC.

Have you compared the stv6pro to heads that have more in common with it? I'd be eager to hear a comparison among the svt, an aguilar db750, eden wt800, and other similar heads.

Originally posted by jackcheez:

Can you guys read a spec sheet?
No. I don't listen to spec sheets anyway. ;)
Listen to a spec sheet? :confused: I don't think I've ever heard anything from a spec sheet. :D:rolleyes:

I used to pay a lot of attention to spec sheets, but I found that several pieces of gear that I panned for not having good enough specs sounded really good when I heard them. You can't really tell how something sounds by looking at a bunch of letters, numbers and symbols on your computer screen.

Like Billy Joel sang:

There's a new band in town

But you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine...

Aimed at your average teen

Okay....I'm just getting use to how this forum thing works,so please bear with me.First of all if you have seen my last insert,I never said that the SVT 6 blows anything out of the water except the SVT 4.Secound,let me tell you about my Krell Manley rig.The Krell cost me 10 grand and another couple hundred to get a case built around it because if you know anything about the Krell 450 mcx mono block , you would know that it is only about 10 and a half inches wide/almost a foot tall and 19 inches deep. In the custom case the Krell weighs well over 110 lbs.The Manley VoxBox lives in a SKB 3 space rack that I place on top of the Krell.I run the feedback control almost all the way open the compressor at med/fast attack and the release at fast.The Pultech EQ functions as follows. Bass/treble is boost but the mid is cut,all at selectable frequencies preamp/amp combo is so awesome that there is no need for EQ,but if you want it ,you got it. The woods is a great amp to use when you just want to get in and kick some but and leave, but it can sound a bit sterile and cold.To warm the Woods up I put an aguilar 900 in the effects loop.I have owned the DB750,EDEN WT 800,CREST7001,CROWN POWER BASE 3,QSC,BAG END,EPIFANI,ACCUGROOVE,

Tubes,solid state,digital AAAUHHHHH....You name it.YES I AM A GEAR HEAD.If you need to see pic.email me at holyfieln001@hawaii.rr.com and I can show you some gear.

Archived