Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Rush Thread

Jabinski

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8990498804653385749&q=rush

What do you all make of this version of Science and Nature?

The singer seems very low in the mix and possibly out of tune.

The feel seems a bit clumsy and wooden in places but at times they rock ( eg 06:45). I'm thinking that this is a very hard song to cover and i've always wanted to try it.

I give them a 7/10. Except that the scream at the end takes it down to a 6.

I know you all might flame me for this evaluation but what the hell.

I'm back in bass!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I should make you aware that this thread is only open to Rush fans, friends of a Rush fan and friends of friends of a Rush fan, or those who were Rush fans in a previous life and can prove it.
I'm back in bass!

A pretty good cover. I give them credit for doing such a "deep track" on a gig. The scream at the end really ruins it for me as well.

Technically pretty good playing by all. The singer needed to be up in the mix, and it was certainly on the high end of his range.

Not bad. Thanks for sharing.

The song is called "Natural Science".

A direct quote from the band regarding this performance: "We just loved that it kicked ass at certain points". "At certain points" is not what I would put on stage.

Awesome!

Wheels within Wheels.

I'd be happy to be playing in a band with that level of competancy.

The levels are probably due to the position of the camcorder being level with the guitar amp. I'd guess it was excellent live.

What should a bass player do when the Vocals and Guitar are playing? He looks really self concious. At least the drummer can hide behind the kit.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Originally posted by Tim C:

I am an acquaintence of a rush fan, so this thread isn't really open to me.

Then why did you post??

I'd say you're a closet Rush fan, in much the same way as homophobics often are gay.

I'm back in bass!

As for the band: now I know what Dream Theatre would sound like if they all got drunk and went onstage to play Rush covers.

:D

As for myself: I played a few Rush covers a few years back and pleased all but the most die-hard of fans, and did it with an Ibanez instead of a Rick or a Fender. Does that qualify me or should I go to the nearest GC and by the Fender signature model so I could belong?

And as for music: I just heard there's a new release of some recently-discovered material from John Coltrane and Charles Mingus playing together. But then again, who cares, this is the Geddy Lee fan club. And they're both dead. No comparison.

:cool:

The guitar player is too loud, but they're always too loud.

The vocals on the record have lots of delay and reverb. This poor guy was singing dry, more or less. Plus he's totally drowned out by the instruments. Not his fault if his performance doesn't sound optimal.

Natural Science also has keyboard tracks. This non-keys version sounds thin.

The playing is good, and Mr. Loud Guitarist nailed the tone in the first movement. But the bassist and guitarist need to stop staring at thier shoes and connect with the audience.

(Assuming that there was an audience.)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Agreed Dan.

The rise of low cost video equipment has allowed us to see what we look like live. I think it's a good idea for bands who are putting themselves on a stage to video themselves and watch it back first to iron out those obvious points. Maybe not to put it on Youtube or google though.

In particular the sound is never any good from a camcorder the inbuilt mike with auto level is just not able to cope with the dynamics and frequencies. Most are very good for speach though.

We have just recorded ourselves and our Drummer has at last seen the light with his repeated rundowns and overtightened toms. He was even thinking of buying a new kit, or at least skins.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived