Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Revolution - Manring/Dimin/Bianchi

Mike Dimin

from the PR:

Grammy nominee, Michael Manring, hailed by many as the worlds leading solo bassist, leads The Northeast Bass Revolution on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 at Revolution Hall in Troy, NY. Acclaimed solo bassists, Mike Dimin and Chuck Bianchi will join Michael Manring in redefining the role of the bass. The 8:00 pm performance will be preceded by a master class at 6:00 pm. Tickets are $15.00 for the performance and $5.00 for the master class and are available at Revolution Hall in Troy or by calling 518-273- 2337.

Michael Manring has been pushing back the boundaries of whats possible on the bass guitar for over two decades. While his technical skill and innovations always make an impression, it is his ability to communicate on a profound emotional level that most touches listeners. As editor Tom Darter wrote in Keyboard magazine "Forget his astounding technique and musicality; forget his absolute command of his instruments; forget how seamlessly the musical ideas and the performance of them were wedded together...The enlightenment came most from feeling (seeing, hearing) the joy Michael felt to be playing...his brand of transcendental chops and musical understanding...was all in the service of the final outcome, the joy of making music." Michael has worked with a diverse collection of musicians from New Age keyboardist Suzanne Ciani to avant-improv guitar innovator Henry Kaiser to celebrated folk troubadour John Gorka to experimental post-metal rockers Tim Alexander (Primus) and Alex Skolnick (Testament) to electro-pop pioneer Thomas Dolby. His long-term collaboration and close friendship with the late acoustic guitar genius Michael Hedges led to a lengthy stint as house bassist for Windham Hill Records.

Michael Dimin literally wrote the book on the art of the solo bassist. Through his groundbreaking books, "The Chordal Approach", The Art of Solo Bass and his work as a lesson columnist for Bassics Magazine, Bass Player Magazine, and Bass Frontiers Magazine, Mike has brought the concept of solo bass to the fore. Talkbass.com columnist, Max Valentino said of Mike, "Above it all he is a supreme musician, with a singular, unique voice on his instrument. Mike has taken his revolutionary approach, unparalleled technique and mastery of the instrument and combined it with a sense of musicianship, lyricism and beauty that transcends the site of a solo bassist on stage. Cliff Engel of basically.net states that, Michael Dimin has elevated the standards in the field of bass artistry.

A career in solo bass is not for the faint of heart. Yet working alone with his guitar, Chuck Bianchi creates a complete and satisfying musical experience. His compositions inspire an ethereal, introspective and often beautifully melancholic atmosphere. A graduate of the Berklee College of Music, Bianchi has been writing and performing music for solo bass with single-minded dedication since realizing the melodic potential and subtle range of expression that are possible on the bass guitar.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Manring check out: Addition by Subtraction.

From Amazon.com:

In October 2000, Scott McGill put together a super session with legendary bassist Michael Manring (Attention Deficit), drummer Vic Stevens (Gongzilla), and guest keyboardist Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater). Super-producer Neil Kernon oversaw the ensuing melee. The end result, 'Addition by Subtraction' is a jaw dropping display of technical virtuosity laced with hooks, melodies, and odd metered rhythms. Destined to become a classic for fans of heavy progressive rock, metal & fusion. Laser's Edge.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Wow, what a line-up. Manring by far is one of my favorites, and he is also a great person. I recommend the Manring CDs "The Book Of Flame", "Thonk" and his new Solo CD "Soliloquy" +++ the Bass Trio CD with Carbonne and Di Piazza..........V

For Michael Manring in a more conventional role, check out Wadada Leo Smith and Henry Kaiser's Yo Miles CDs - awesome!

Don't forget to check out his solo stuff too though to get a fuller picture.

Also, Steve Lawson has a couple of clips of improvised duets with Michael on his site.

Sounds like a great gig, Mike. Knock 'em dead! :thu:

There isn't much in the archives here about Giovanni Bottesini . I'd be interested in hearing if he was an influence of yours. Do you have any links to share, or maybe a few words?

I totally agree with the PR statement: "A career in solo bass is not for the faint of heart." Kudos to you guys for keeping the fire burning!

Check out "Thonk!" by Michael Manring. If you can find it....

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

There's a good copy of that Teen Town video streaming on Youtube. Just search for Manring.

I searched for "Teen Town" so I could compare the Manring version to the original. I'm sorry, Manring can't hold a candle to The Jaco.

Maybe that's a bad example of his prowess. I'll have to find more examples tomorrow.

Archived