Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ThunderFunk + Schroeder = Crazy Delicious?

_Sweet Willie_

Just thought I'd share an idea that has caught my fancy.

Take one ThunderFunk TFB-550 bass head (16 lbs., 500W into 4 ohms) and mix with one Schroeder 1210 Light (35 lbs., 4 ohms - 1x12, 1x10 + horn) for 51 lbs. of tasty 500W rig goodness.

I would think that this would be competitive with various combinations of heads like the Eden WT550, iAmp 500, or Aguilar 500SC and cabs like the Bergie 1x12, AccuGroove Tri112L, Aguilar 1x12, etc.

I've played an earlier version of the ThunderFunk head (TFB-420) and will look up the thread I started about it later. I mostly liked it, and would love to test it again. A close friend and 7-string player (who some of you know) recently rec'd a Schroeder 21012 Light and reports that it rulez most mightily.

Just thought I'd share. :D

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, you're talking about gear!

I was all head up to talk "Peanuts" and some new incarnation of, maybe "pigpen" playing around with notes over his head while Schroeder bangs away.

:D

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Smart. It is only 16 lbs. and it has a handle.

I could see this working. If I didn't have the Eden WT-330, I would consider this amp.

Left hand, Thunderfunk Amp

Right hand, Bergantino HT112

Backpack, Gigbag

One trip. Not too shabby.

OK, I found the link to my review of the older TFB-420: :idea: I also bumped another thread about Bergie 1x12s where I mentioned this amp. It's getz76's fault since he mentioned that it might be a nice match for his Bergie HT112.

Heck, it might be a nice match for a Bergie HT322! :eek:

Peace. :cool:

--sweets

spreadluv

from what i have read on talkbass, results are mixed with this combination. which, to me, is kind of counterintuitive, since the TFB is relatively clean, a little livlier GK, if you will. but i think the issue lies with the schroeder. some call them punchy and cutting, others have called them a little too thick. i think i have heard similar disillusionment about walter woods and bergantino.

i would proceed cautiously. it may well work for you, but the cabinets are less of a known funciton than the amp, which, on its own, is safe as kittens.

robb.

I've played a TF420 + Berg HT212 using a Roscoe 5-string bass...that combination was definitely righteous! I thought the TF heads where essentially a copy of a pre-SWR Steve Rabe design? (Robb mentioned GK, which prompted this.)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I've played neither TF nor Schroeder, but have played a few Woods heads with my Berg 12s. I didn't find anything special about them (not that it was bad). If the TF is a "clean" amp (as you'd expect from a Rabe design), it could probably work anywhere. If the combination didn't sound great (though Dave liked it), it probably is the speakers.

As a consumer and gearhead, I have to remember something that Jon H. said - a manufacturer is usually building a product to answer a need - what are they trying to acheive? This is a good question.

I love my Berg 12s, and last night had the oppportunity to play my EA iAmp500 through a Berg 322. Admittedly I didn't adjust the amp EQ, but the sound wasn't the same as my 2 12s. Surprised? I wasn't - Jim B didn't build the 322 for the same application as the 12s. I could easily imagine the 322 with my rock band (where it's intended), but not in church (where the 12s would fit).

So maybe the Schroeder isn't the purist sounding cab - maybe the way it was tested didn't show off what it was built to do. It might be not great in a small setting, but great for rock.|

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, definitely agreed on the 322...no doubt it was made for rock. I use an SWR SM-900 with my 322 right now...and it's a good combination but not the ideal combination in my opinion (although I'm not positive what would prove to be). The TF + Berg 212 was definitely sweet though. (The Berg HT-212 sounds much more like the HT-322 than it sounds like two Berg 112's, just FYI...)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

If the TF is a "clean" amp (as you'd expect from a Rabe design), it could probably work anywhere.

I wouldn't categorize the TF as "clean" per se. In my limited experience w/ one, it was warmer than many other solid state amps I'd tried.

The question you have posed, even if channeling Jon H., is a good one. I wonder if the need is versatility. The TF does seem to offer EQ flexibility, w/ controls that allow various types of sound coloration (e.g., enhance and timbre knobs) and now "the switch" which supposedly takes some tube emulation out of the circuit for a cleaner sound.

The highly portable package (16 lbs., 2U) and reasonable power (500W into 4 ohm minimum load) is definitely appealing.

Interesting to read also robb.'s comments about what he's heard about the TFB-Shroeder combination. Maybe they're not a good match. Maybe a TFB-Bergantino combination is better.

Anyway, with this thread I'm mainly just speculating about products that have caught my interest of recent. Heck, maybe a TFB-Epifani UL112 is the ticket...

Peace.

--Doctor Luv

spreadluv

Something seems fishy about the Schroeder cabinets to me. Something has to give, in my opinion. Those are some tiny boxes. Also, there have been reports on Talkbass that the cabinets are a lot heavier than the listed weight.

I wonder about a lightweight head combined with an Epifani 310UL.

I have used a pair of old Epifani NYC410 cabinets at rehearsal (2U Aguilar preamp -> Lab.Gruppen power -> (2) Epifani NYC410 cabinets) and I did not love it. However, it might have been the Aguilar preamp.

However, take a look the Epifani 310UL. It's 47 lbs. It's about $1,000 retail. That is spendy, but not completely outrageous. Easy to carry with two hands. Add a gigbag on your back and a small amp on your shoulder (like my Eden WT-330), and you have one trip in. That would be hot.

I just don't know how it is a 4-ohm cabinet. Most cabinets using three identical drivers distribute power evenly, so all the drivers are the same resistance. If these were three 8-ohm drivers, wouldn't this be 2.666 ohms? How did they do it? Custom woofers with an odd resistance?

Archived