Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5 String project

Basshappi

Well I just won a Warmoth birdseye maple 5 string neck, with factory gloss finish, on ebay! If I had bought the same thing new from Warmoth it would have cost $295. I got it for $122.50 (+shipping)! :D

Lately I've have been thinking that I would like another 5 string in a Fender Jazz style with a maple neck. So when I saw this I decided to try for it. I doubt that my project will progress quite as fast a 09's recent P-bass, but I will keep ya'll updated as it comes together.

Just had to share! :)

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice - many of us have been left without a project to envy since 0-9 finished his. We're counting on you.

Originally posted by basshappi:

... Fender Jazz style with a maple neck.

I'm assuming that you mean maple fretboard.

Tell us what you are thinking for the body, hardware, etc.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Nice - many of us have been left without a project to envy since 0-9 finished his. We're counting on you.

Originally posted by basshappi:

... Fender Jazz style with a maple neck.

I'm assuming that you mean maple fretboard.

Tell us what you are thinking for the body, hardware, etc.

Tom

Oops, Yes maple neck with a maple fretboard (Warmoth offers many different neck and board woods)

My Schecter is predominately mohogany and has a nice dark growly sound. So I am wanting a brighter tone for this instrument. I also want this one to have passive electronics.

I'm still agonizing over the reast of the project. I figure that, considering the desired tone, I will use either ash or alder for the body.

I want it to be green in color, even though Lake Placid and Daphane blue have been whispering sweet nothings in my ear. But I'm trying to make up my mind wheather I want a painted finish (surf,seafoam,sherwood etc.)and a cool pickgaurd. Or go for a figured maple top and a deep emerald dye (with no pickgaurd of course).The dyed,figured top is how I'm leaning at present.

As far as pups go I'm thinking I might go high end, maybe Aero or Nordstrand.

Like I say, this is going to be a rather drawn out project. I had not intended to get into it until next year as I am focusing on aquiring a 12 string bass in a few months. But I had always intended my next 5 string to have a maple fretboard and when I saw this neck, it was such a good deal I had to try for it. :D

Basshappi,

I am planning to build a mahogany body to transfer my steiberger neck, bridge, pickups, electronics, etc. into. I love the neck and tuning mechanism, but I'm looking for a warmer sound. Did you template-router all the recesses for bridge, neck, and pickups on previous projects?

Originally posted by steinberger:

Basshappi,

I am planning to build a mahogany body to transfer my steiberger neck, bridge, pickups, electronics, etc. into. I love the neck and tuning mechanism, but I'm looking for a warmer sound. Did you template-router all the recesses for bridge, neck, and pickups on previous projects?

Well...my last project bass was in high school woodshop back in '81.

However, ther are probably routing templates available for them or you could make your own. (I take it that this is a steinberger copy with the bolt-on neck, if it is a real steinberger I strongly suggest you not do this as you could be ruining a valuable instrument.)

Once you remove the neck and hardware from the instrument, you could make a template from posterboard which you could transfer to masonite. Then you can sketch out the desired body shape, cut it out and presto!...instant cutting/routing template.

Whichever method you decide upon, keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

[QB] Nice - many of us have been left without a project to envy since 0-9 finished his. We're counting on you.

I would be one of those. I scored a cheap Epiphone Embassy Special body shortly after 0-9 posted his project thread. Robb's endorsement of Reverend pickups cost them some inventory... I fixed project GAS with my Tobias defret, then fixed P/J GAS with a sweet G&L. The parts are now in a closet. One day I will invest in a good neck and hardware to get the job finished.

Good luck on your projects basshappi and steinberger!

- Matt W.

Archived