Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No more open E's

jeremy c

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used occasionally, open E is fab. Specially if you are playing in C# minor and at the end of a phrase, do the E, F# on measures 3 and 4 on fretless.

This must also mean that open B is doubly out of the question? Who knows where this will end? Open A?

Actually I agree that in a lot of cases the open string is inappropriate, but imagine how Peter Hook would have coped without open A and E?

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Nothing better than bangin on the open E. Your other hand can be holding a beer, pickin your nose, grabbin your wife's butt, or flicking someone off. Why give that up?

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

I'm going to give up bass and invent my own entirely original instrument (not) ;)

Ahhhh!

I promised myself not to get involved in these threads

Doh!

I'm also going tp start posting in my own unique alphabet and typing that nobody else understands (oops - doing that alreadt==y!

Jeremy...don't you think your point has already been made? Why waste useful learning bandwidth by indulging in sarcasm? Or at least, contain the sarcasm to a single thread...

People on this forum look up to you, and regard you as a role-model. I hope you realize that there is a significant amount of responsibility that comes with being a role-model.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Oh my,

Why did you say that, Jeremy?

As a string teacher, one of the biggest challenges I face (DAILY!) is to keep my little pluckers from playing that convenient open E.

And it is contest season right now; my groups just went through, and we had to clean up open e's. Still, a judge thought he heard one, and questioned it on the form. Didn't hurt our rating, but sheesh.

Tomorrow, I travel hundreds of miles to adjudicate other groups, and I'm already getting my "avoid open e" speed writing working.

I just wanted a little refuge this morning, and I wake up to this!

:D:D:D

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by tnb:

No more bass at all for me. The whole bass thing is horribly over done and every knucklehead in town owns a bass. From now on it's all tuba, all the time.

What a blowhard.

joke required by contract>

Jeremy - you've inpired students and forumites (including me) to be better. You have the ability to make beautiful music in so many styles. Not everyone has your natural talent, or your work-ethic, or your "togetherness" (for lack of a more accurate term). Those others (some days that includes me) may never "get it". Your example has and will help many. It's more than lots of others get to do for music....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm going to start tuning my basses c# b# f G and never use open strings unless I'm in the key of Ab minor in which case I will only use open strings. Just to be different.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

I have a tendency to restrict myself more than Jeremy. I refuse to play open A#, B, C, C#, D#, F, F#, and G#.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Originally posted by Stackimo:

I have a tendency to restrict myself more than Jeremy. I refuse to play open A#, B, C, C#, D#, F, F#, and G#.

Man, you're missing more than half the notes available to you on your custom-made 12 string bass which is tuned:

C#, F#, B, E ,A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db

I refuse to play all 12 notes of the chromatic scale. They've all been played before.

From now on I will stand onstage with my hands at my sides and my bass unplugged. Anything less or more would simply be derivative of other artists.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

...I'm going to give up the key of Bb...every jazz group in the world plays songs in that key...how trite.

That's right!

Make those horn players do a little work for once!

As for open E, I think it's OK to play...but you must be sure to give it that extra-powerful pluck that pulls the string flat & yields that "broing-oing-oing" sound as it settles back into pitch.

Archived