Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whatever happened to irony?

jeremy c

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me quote a philosopher, albeit, an idiot savant, only without the whole savant thing.

It's from this thread written during a period of sleep depravation and 4 glasses of red wine on an empty stomach.

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Remember right before you started playing and you heard something and said to yourself, "man I wish I could play that"? Well, that moved you right? Got your blood a-bubblin'? Sometimes you play "unoriginal" music because you like it, and it sounds good. That's the point.

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

When man first discovered music he probably heard a nut fall on a hollow log and thought, "I like that sound, I'm going to hit that log and make the same sound." A little later, he noticed that if he hits the log in a different place the sound changed, and on it went... He sought out exotic logs, and hard to find nuts and stones to hit them with, thus GAS was created. That's another story though.

The irony is that we evolved from drummers.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Jeremy, I hear ya !

"it is - what it is" & means something different to everybody, No ?

Music is so universal & yet subjective.

Great quote from Mellencamp !

Here's mine from Joe Walsh ..

"Got any Gum !"

:D

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

What ever happened to irony?

It's over there, in a box. But is the truth, as Hitchcock observes, in the box? No, there isn't room, the irony has put on weight.

This post is unoriginal. Ironically.

Here's some irony for you:

Never before posted by Dave Brown:

You spank your spirit and send it to bed.

You know, way back when I was a young'n dabblin' in philosophy, I dreamed of a magazine called "Popular Philosophy." Would it sell?

Just because most community orchestras can't tool up and play Beethoven's 8th, do they have the right to try?

Just because most people don't have the mental gumption to understand Socratic questioning (or ask it,) don't they have the right to try?

Jeremy, the kids are thinking as fast as they can. I appreciate every wedge you cram in to open their minds. But like every stubborn hunk of wood, sometimes you drive in a wedge and have to let the wood relax a minute before you grab another.

And some people, when their presuppositions vanish around them, can't handle the open air. It's much better that they live in their boxes. I didn't use to believe that, but I'm fixin' to.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

"Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was getting tired of being stared at."

Steve Martin, from the movie, Roxanne. Not feeling quick or clever enough to come up with something myself!

How original is it once you've played the song a few times? I find it hard to draw a distinction between Pickett's "Mustang Sally", Holst's "First Suite in Eb" and any 5 songs from Neel and Patty's new cd. Neel and Patty are new friends I did a session for last week. When they aren't playing other people's music they are writing their own and teaching students.

People who only play "original music" are drawing water from a very shallow well.

"Ironic"

An old man turned ninety-eight

He won the lottery and died the next day

It's a black fly in your Chardonnay

It's a death row pardon two minutes too late

And isn't it ironic...dontcha think

It's like rain on your wedding day

It's a free ride when you've already paid

It's the good advice that you just didn't take

Who would've thought...it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly

He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye

He waited his whole damn life to take that flight

And as the plane crashed down he thought

"Well isn't this nice..."

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you

When you think everything's okay and everything's going right

And life has a funny way of helping you out when

You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up

In your face

A traffic jam when you're already late

A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

It's meeting the man of my dreams

And then meeting his beautiful wife

A little too ironic...and yeah I really do think...

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you

Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out

Helping you out

Alanis Morissette is not ironic, dontcha think?
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Let me say right up front here that I'm not looking to stir up controversy. So - no flaming arrows please.

I appreciate the talents of those who can write original songs. I tip my hat to those folks who can bring something fresh to the world of music. Without them music would never have evolved beyond beating a stick on a log.

But does the ability to write songs make that person any more talented than anyone else? Maybe, maybe not.

Does it make their contribution to music greater to those who don't write? In some cases I think definitely so, and in others, maybe not.

What about the person who can read and play a classical score or conduct an orchestra? How about the session musician who comes in to record a project that he/she has never heard before that day? These are very talented individuals IMO.

What I find ironic is the fact that most, if not all of the music that we play in America (and the world) has been influenced by other styles. If you write a new song in any style of music, what is really original about it? Do new lyrics or chord progressions really make the songs

"original" if it's done in a style that's 10, 30, 60 or 150 years old?

As I said, I'm not trying to knock those who can and have written songs. I'm just posing a few questions here. Ironic?

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

What happened to irony? It's being hoarded in my current hometown of Portland, Oregon. Irony is a bunch of non-conformists conforming to each other, with their trucker hats and white belts and black-frame glasses and sausage-skin jeans, drinking PBR as though it tastes good.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Jode, I agree with everything you said except for the dis on PBR. Cheap beer has its place. There are times when a case of BEAST or PBR or Miller Highlife* has its place. That place is usually when you get together with friends of yesteryear and remember when you could not afford beer that cost more than $8.99 for a case. :)

* Miller Highlife is also known as the champagne of beers.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Some people think that only original music has meaning.

"The whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking, 'Is there a meaning to music?' My answer would be, 'Yes.' And 'Can you state in so many words what the meaning is?' My answer to that would be, 'No.'" - Aaron Copeland, composer

No one knows what any music means anyway.
"No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra (US baseball player, coach, & manager)

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later." - Miles Davis

Life is transitory.
Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it. - Greg Anderson (American best-selling author and founder of the American Wellness Project)

The journey is the reward. - old Chinese proverb

We are grains of sand in an enormous universe which may only be one of many universes.
"I close my eyes

Only for a moment, then the momen't gone

All my dreams

Pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind

All they are is dust in the wind ". - Kansas, "Dust In The Wind"

"Nothing matters, and what if it did?"..John Cougar Mellencamp
"My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life." - Miles Davis

"Are we having fun yet?" - Zippy the Pinhead, as voiced by cartoonist Bill Griffith. :D

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

the truth is that irony was murdered by hipsters. it was buried in williamsburg.

be warned though, one or two of those links are for the grownups.

No it wasn't. I killed irony. It bothered me. I was sick of him and alanis so i killed them both. And Jermey C why do you always overthink music. Your a musician.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

I actually don't overthink.

I know exactly what I am doing. I know what every note that I play is, what it means in the context that I am in, and why I play it.

If you consider that overthinking, I consider what you are doing to be underthinking.

Unlike other posters here, I don't decide ahead of time what I will or will not play or what I will or will not like.

I enjoy listening to and playing music.

Irony was in the title of this thread. You can look it up in the dictionary.

I'm not sure what happened to irony, but I know what happened to notalgia. It has become a thing of the past.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I am concerned because I don't know.

Yet

If I did know, I wouldn't be concerned.

Hmmm.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by getz76:

Jode, I agree with everything you said except for the dis on PBR. Cheap beer has its place. There are times when a case of BEAST or PBR or Miller Highlife* has its place. That place is usually when you get together with friends of yesteryear and remember when you could not afford beer that cost more than $8.99 for a case. :)

* Miller Highlife is also known as the champagne of beers.

Well, cheap beer HAD its place - in the trunk of my '78 (bitchen)Camaro in high school. The best, though, was Bruno's running MGD longnecks for ten bucks a case in college. These days, that same $8.99 will get me a sixer of Mirror Pond Pale Ale, which is easily four times the beer that Beast is, so it all evens out.

As for Portland, it is a beautiful and VERY cool city, but there are some people here that are so hip they can't see over their pelvises - and they're gonna wander out in front of a MAX train one day if they don't look up. They may even slit their own throats by accident with the razor edge of their irony. Careful with that axe, Eugene.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Jode,

Quality response noted for several reasons:

1) Quality Pink Floyd lyric quote (or, actually title quote).

2) You mentioned a Camaro that was bitching

3) Quantifying the quality of a beer as though you have done some type of double-blind study (which I have a feeling you might have done)

I know of the hipsters. I spend enough time in NYC's Village/East Village. The virus has spread to Brooklyn.

I still contend getting together with college friends, adding a couple of cases of PBR, and playing beer pong is an acceptable, non-hipster past-time when done in moderation (i.e., at college homecoming games, bachelor parties, and other random, thoroughly spread-out events).

I highly recommend, if you have not done so already, taking a listen to Ben Folds Five's The Battle of Who Could Care Less. You might thoroughly enjoy. And the bassline rocks. :)

What ever happened to irony?

It's on the unemployment line. It wasn't found to be easily marketable by either Madison Avenue or MTV, so irony is now collecting it's unemployment insurance. It occasionally resurfaces from time to time amongst hipster bands who think that it's ironic to be into indie rock but to play Bon Jovi covers for their audience. Irony then quickly makes it's way to the door and runs away when it finds out just how lame the hipsters are, and tries to avoid their inane inside jokes the way a well practiced John or Pro tries to avoid getting the HIV. :P

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived