Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the point?

jeremy c

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy, that's because you woke up one day and just thought how much you're old now. Sorry.

There's an on-off switch on the pannel of your oven, Getz.

:D

I've no more a guilty conscience, only a stomach.

Originally posted by getz76:

...I'm back.

I forgot my oven was electric.

If you leave it in there long enough it will work anyway. ;)
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

whats the point, eh?

such a shame, those of us who dwell on the end of life never truly live it, life is an irony at times. the vastness of eternity can be dumbfounding and even terrifying at times. but here's what I say, even if life is meaningless and bleak, you've been given the gift of existence, don't take it forgranted. It could be worse.

hmmm...

The intercept point (IP) is an imaginary point where the slopes of the fundamental,

2nd order IMD and 3rd order IMD meet.

http://www.rf-amplifiers.com/images/intercept.gif

Rules of thumb:

1. IP is 10 dB above 1 dB compression point.

2. IP is defined for Class A amplifiers only.

Push the button Frank.

I assume you ask this in jest or are just having a shitty day. The point is that you are here, alive and feeling. Even numb is a sensory state of feeling incase you would argue thats where you are at.

To put it bluntly I have experienced suicide first hand and I can tell you that the only purpose of living is to enjoy live and make it happen for yourself. Whatever "IT" is for you, you should strife to make "it" happen not only for yourself but also for the people around you and the people who love you.

Jeremy send me your address and let me buy you a beer.

Originally posted by kenfxj:

The intercept point (IP) is an imaginary point where the slopes of the fundamental,

2nd order IMD and 3rd order IMD meet.

http://www.rf-amplifiers.com/images/intercept.gif

Rules of thumb:

1. IP is 10 dB above 1 dB compression point.

2. IP is defined for Class A amplifiers only.

:D

But what about us class AB people? ;)

There is objectively no point in anything but as people what we do is apply value to things then act based upon those values.

We derive meaning from those values rather than any objective truth. However because we have no choice about ascribing value to things as conscious beings, (our emotions will force us to even if logic denies it) i find it kind of pointless to ask whether we should value things because its not as if we have a choice in the matter. Just my opinion however.

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I mean, why bother?

We're all going to die at some time and eventually the world will come to an end.

The Hindus would say "breaking the enternal life/death struggle". Christians would say "love and service to others". There are also many inspirational speakers worth checking-out.

It is my experience that any one area tends to get boring after a while. I think this is typical, as evidenced by there being so few people dedicating themselves for life to a single skill (e.g. ice-skating, bass, tennis, etc.).

There's also the brain/body issue. Being overly tired (perhaps by too much extended caffeine use, or being sick) can be indistinguishable from depression.

Ultimately for me, the question boils-down to "is there life after death". Time will tell...

For what it is worth, you (and other "legends" here) are an inspiration to us "lesser" bass players! :thu:

Originally posted by Gord -B:

There is objectively no point in anything but as people what we do is apply value to things then act based upon those values.

We derive meaning from those values rather than any objective truth.

I didn't plan to respond to this obviously rhetorical thread.

However, when I read Gord-B's post, I changed my mind.

It is possible that there is an objective truth and value entirely beyond our comprehension. If there is, it's not a bad idea to devote one's life to discovering what you can about it.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I got nothing. No reasons, no points to make, no pearls of wisdom, no obvious to overstate, no sage advice, so I am going to go to the gym, hit the showers, warm up the tuba and uprite and do a show. Then I am going out to a nice dinner with my friends/co-workers and drink entirely to much wine. This will be followed by calling the wife and trying to console her over the fact that her father has been dead for almost a year now - he is certainly worth mourning, he was a great guy.

I guess the point for me is to have I good time when I can and try and make things better when things are not quite so good. We have so little time, may as well spread the love while we are here.

Yes, we will all die and the world will end, but instead of putting your head in the proverbial oven, why not do something you and others enjoy.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

Originally posted by Gord -B:

We derive meaning from those values rather than any objective truth.

I didn't plan to respond to this obviously rhetorical thread.

However, when I read Gord-B's post, I changed my mind.

It is possible that there is an objective truth and value entirely beyond our comprehension. If there is, it's not a bad idea to devote one's life to discovering what you can about it.

Yeh i suppose i was kind of putting an opinion as a statement there :) I'm not one of these moral reletavist types though i think its perfectly admirable to devote a life to finding right and wrong. But i think to do that requires more than just reason, it requires faith and objectivity is not a creature of faith (or so i think)

Edit - There were some quite good discussions about this on what was the political forum actually. There were some very good philosophers on there.

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Dole Office Clerk: Occupation?

Comicus: Stand-up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human existence into a viable and meaningful comprehension.

Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a *bullshit* artist!

Bea Arthur & Mel Brooks in "History of the World: Part 1"

Push the button Frank.

Originally posted by kenfxj:

Dole Office Clerk: Occupation?

Comicus: Stand-up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human existence into a viable and meaningful comprehension.

Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a *bullshit* artist!

Bea Arthur & Mel Brooks in "History of the World: Part 1"

"I love a mountain comics"

Ceasar (Dom Delouise)

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Fishing, music, coffee, love, work.

Order may change depending on what day of the week it is.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I'm glad I lived to experience: "A remark you made" - Weather Report.

Secondly, some consider there is a point, but you may need to go to church to find it.

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I only mention this for the moral which follows, not because I like to talk about myself:

This weekend I got a call from a guitar-playing friend who just turned 40, had his truck in the shop to replace a ball joint (the wheel fell off!) and his girlfriend walked out on him after a year of bliss. We spent the rest of the afternoon smoking Cuban cigars and having dinner, then I dragged him out to a local club with his Fender Tele and on stage for an open mike jam, then after closing we hit an IHOP for breakfast and then drove him home. He called me yesterday afternoon to thank me for being a lifesaver and a true friend.

Look at it this way: sometimes you're not here just for your own agenda, but to make a difference to someone else. That in turn may give you a clue as to what your purpose really is.

:wave:

Archived