Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

question for current/former Ric owners - bridge cover

MvW

I am the proud owner of a new 4003 Ric and want to remove the cover to the bridge pickup. I've been mining the forum at Rickenbacker and have read that the company does not recommend doing this, but it's in my way and has got to go (as cool as it looks). The issue - the space that will be exposed. I know plenty of people have left it as is once the cover is removed, but I was wondering what, if anything, others have done to cover the resulting space. I came across Pickguard.com and they make some plexi-based plates, but I'm a little hesitant about it. I'd rather find something chrome and less 'after market' looking. Any suggestions or anecdotes are greatly appreciated!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just took mine off and left it off. The "gaping hole" that some talk about doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I frequently place my thumb in there and on top of the pickup as a thumbrest.

Is THIS what you were looking at? The mirrored plexi cover might look damn sharp on that blue beauty of yours... :idea: Actually, it might look pretty good on my black one. What the hell, for $14.99.

Push the button Frank.

Yeah, there was a thread on here that covered this cover. I don't have time to look it up. I remember someone saying he/she cut his/her thumb/finger on the gaping whole. It's a good idea to put something there.

I left my original on. I actually find myself resting the side of my palm on it from time to time. If I want a bridgey sound, I pluck/pick closer to the bridge.

I was content to just leave it alone until I saw what this guy did...

http://www.badart.tv/ric_pickup.jpg

If I read his post correctly, he purchased one of the pickguardian cover plates and cut it back to fit underneath the mounting in the same way that the original cover did. I think it looks great.

kenfxj - I was looking at those and agree, for $14.99, I might just try it and see. But first, I'm going to look around for some info on the above or inquire about having something made at pickguardian. I think it would be great if Ric offered that as an option. I know that the cover is part of the pup design and overall esthetic, but many players have been taking them off for decades now.

Archived