Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - 2 Funerals in a week. Any friends of Bill W or Jimmy K here?

Newf

Mods - If this isn't appropriate here I'm sorry. I just don't know where else to put this.

I just came back from a funeral. The first of two this week for people I know who passed on from the ravages of alcohol/drug addiction this past Sunday in my small city.

It's hit me pretty hard. My emotions are everywhere today and I feel kind of overwhelmed as I'm only about 3 weeks clean myself after a lengthy relapse.

I've surfed the net but I don't belong to any other forums and I usually don't post much on here either (I lurk a lot though... :) ) I just need to get this grieving/anger/emotion out of my system somehow.

I don't know puting this here is right or not but if it isn't I'm sorry.

Newf :(

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i offer a prayer of strength. i am sorry to hear of your loss. please stay dry... i have been through every addiction.. pot, cocaine, quaaluudes, alcohol ( what to do when coked out? drink) cigarrettes- fortunately, i was able to give them all up a long time ago, except for pot, which i quit last year while in the hospital for cancer surgery. going thru chemo right now, as i write, even..

reach down within yourself to the deepest depth and realize whatever you are addicted to is poison, and what halfway sensible man purposely poisons himself? you can do this!

would you drink Ajax? i think not. Look at it like that, it helps.

personally, my strength doesn not totally come from within at all, but from my Lord Jesus Christ - i do not wish to turn this into a religious thread, but i must ne honest with you, this where I myself find guidance and peace.

Hang on tight and be strong, and turn down that next drink or hit or whatever it is... you just have to say no the that next one, that's how i did it, especially with the coke.

God bless you- Adrian

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

You'll find lots of emotional support here, Newf.

As well as a lot of encouragement to maintain your own sobriety.

I can't speak from experience about substance abuse, but I do have to constantly watch my food intake. As I sit here typing, one of the neighbors rang the bell and brought over a sack of homemade pizzas. They smell wonderful and look incredible.

But I have to have the strength to eat in moderation when there is excess. So in a sense, I can identify with the problem you have in a society with an abundance of substances.

Stay on the wagon; feel the strength of our board holding you up. And celebrate the good memories you have of your friends when they made the good decision to be your pal.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Newf, I'm also sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. It's a hard time for you now, let your grieving take it's course and be strong.

As Adrian said, this could be a very good time to search yourself for what you may really be needing in your life, and the drugs and alchohol are probaly not it.

I have taken or drank nearly everything under the sun at one time or another and luckily was able to give them all up, except for nicotine. That may kill me some day as it has been my drug of choice for way too long.

Actually, being sober is a high in itself that no drug can take the place of. I truly enjoy having more clarity of mind in being sober.

Prayers have been sent your way from me too. It's hard to explain, but God has ways of blessing us each day, and we may never realise that they're happening, but they are.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Newf -

I too am sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure all of us here have lost friends and loved ones to drugs and/or alcohol. I wish there were some magic words we could say to ease your pain.

I would advise you to get help with staying sober. It doesn't have to be "professional" help, just someone you respect enough to let them hold you accountable while you straighten up. However, if you need professional help, by all means get it. You are in my prayers, both for your grief and your decision to get off the junk.

And I have to say that there ain't no high like the Most High.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

WOW! Thanks to all for your support. I'm very moved. This forum never ceases to amaze me with its maturity and wisdom on top of all the great info on all things bass. You folks are truly a class act. :freak:

Yes, I have been recently doing much soul-searching and the bottom line is that I have to clean up my act and also stay away from slippery people, places and situations. I have the best wishes and prayers from many family and friends in my life. Especially as of late as I have been sincerely making positive changes in my ways of living.

Yes, I will pray for your continuing recovery also Adrian. I hope the chemo isn't to hard on you as I'm under the impression that it's pretty rough to do. We have similar beliefs as I am a Christian too but I wasn't feeling like a good one though lately but that's no surprise as IMO when I'm practicing my addictions I am cut off from the Holy Spirit.

Side note: The detox I went to let me take in my bass and v-amp with headphones. :)

I will miss those I have lost however it is a stark reality check of that way of living. But for the Grace of God go I...

Ever grateful, thank you all so much for the prayers and encouragement. It helps.

Newf :)

Newf, thanks for your thoughts. Chemo has been surprisingly kinder than what i expected, of course, I am only on my second round. I have been wearing a fanny pack since wed night ( after a 5 hour session at the treament center ) and i go at noon ( fri ) to have it taken off. It is truly by the grace of God that i have not experienced any serious side effects- no hair loss under this regimen, and the diarrhea ( sorry ) i was pretty much promised has not made an appearance nor has the nausea and vomiting- i have not even felt much fatigue - God is so great! i was able to play my gig tonight with no trouble. I am just full of praise -

You know what? the fact that you wished me well is very healing for you, i know this because when i go for treatment, i wind up feeling more for the people around me than i do for myself and it takes my mind off my own issues and problems.

You have the right heart for what you need to do, you are not in denial and denial could be your biggest enemy. You are absolutely right to stay away from people who could be a bad influence.

As far as being a good Christian.. man, there are a lot more people claiming to be than actually are.. including myself for a long time. I am not saying it made me a "bad" Christian because what is the definiton of bad and where do you draw the line, but i would sometimes smoke a joint on my way to go play in the praise band in church. I'm sure the Lord might have been doing one of these :confused: or maybe one of those raised eyebors ones that we don't have on this forum.

No one is perfect, but we can try to improve. A support system is very helpful and here we are, because we are bass brothers-

I could not begin to tell you the support system that i have had starting with Maury Spadoto ( Getz76) , Tom Cappaso, Dr Sweet Willie, Connie Z and countelss others - such a blessing, it keeps me going- we are here for each other. I for one, invite you to send me private mail if you just want to talk about anything.

But the biggest wisdom comes from the One who made us, who loves us. I don't believe the Holy Spirit abandoned you because you " weren't being good" - God know when we need him most wether it's you lighting a pipe or loading a needle or me going uder the knife becasue my blodd pressure dropped to that of a dead man and they suspected internal bleeding. God shows up when we need him, bro, maybe in the form of a reply from a forum brother like those of us who have replied here. You will not believe the amazing love and support here.

So my continued prayers for strength and clarity and will power, and God's power. Let's all help you through this, then when you are finally clean, you can shout about Good's goodness, as i did tonight after the show and everyone came uo and complemented me ( it wasn't me, it was God playing through me) because i would soundpretty funny if i had to play without hands,, and who gave me those hands?

Stay clean, stay at safe places until you heal.. and may the love of the Lord engulf you and keep you warm and calm. My prayers are with you, brother. All His blessings- Adrian

....as was beautiful said here before - there is No high like the Most High ! Amen!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Newf, don't worry about posting this kind of thing! We can all learn from it and from the excellent responses above, including by yourself! You seem to on the right road.

The fact you say you are a 'bad' Christian is so much more useful than someone who would say that they are a 'good' Christian. Remember the people who Jesus chose to hang out with! Take your strength from the Lord.

What a great forum this is!

Agreed - it's a forum of mature, caring adults.

I also agree that you should stay away from those "slippery" people. It's surprising how difficult it is to score anything when you've been away from that scene for long enough - the faces change, people move on. I've not done a lot of things folks here have but in my experience, people who use, distrust those who don't.

I'm not a religious person but it doesn't take one to know how damaging to the human spirit such addictions are.

All the best in your recovery.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

After a number of years of sobriety and Christianity, I have found the Serenity Prayer to be very helpful in situations like you describe, if I take the time to think about what I am praying. If works if you work it, dude, so don't give up.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

"Slippery people." I'll have to remember that one. As for the Serenity Prayer, I wear it around my neck. It's the same one my dad wore in Vietnam.

One day at a time, Newf. One day at a time. I wish you a good day today.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived