Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any advice for starting out?

Blurb

Well I finally picked up a bass, I found a used Fender Geddy Lee in very good condition and picked up a 35 watt comboamp...if my wife hears Cream "Sunshine of your love" 1 more time she's going to skull me it.

A few random observations

I went to 5 music shops and wasn't helped once as I stood staring blankly at the wall of basses, everyone was helped hook up the guitars and play...

The guys I talked to who were looking at basses when I was were all cool as he11 and helpful

Thanks again for all your input%)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Blurb:

Well I finally picked up a bass, I found a used Fender Geddy Lee in very good condition and picked up a 35 watt comboamp...if my wife hears Cream "Sunshine of your love" 1 more time she's going to skull me it.

A few random observations

I went to 5 music shops and wasn't helped once as I stood staring blankly at the wall of basses, everyone was helped hook up the guitars and play...

The guys I talked to who were looking at basses when I was were all cool as he11 and helpful

Thanks again for all your input%)

Great choice for a starter bass.

And welcome to the hell that is bass players' lives. We never get no respect, no help, and so we help each other. And when the slightest little thing goes wrong with the music, they turn around and stare at us.

That's why this forum is so great. You'll find a lot of help here.

Get a teacher, a real bassist, to get you started. I also recommend "The Bass Player Book" and "Bass Guitar for Dummies."

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by Blurb:

Well I finally picked up a bass, I found a used Fender Geddy Lee in very good condition and picked up a 35 watt comboamp.

Great choice for a first bass. It should last you many, many years. The Japanese made Fenders are generally considered to be very good instruments.

What model combo amp did you get?

Also, where are you located? You might be able to find someone willing to jam a bit and show you a few things.

I think that 120 watts or better would stay useful. 50 Watts can be a little low when playing with others. 100 watts or better in a combo gives you an amp that can serve a much more useful life.

Remember 1 watt is not the same as anouther watt. Play the amp, turn it up. If they won't let you go somewhere else. You need to be sure it will do what you need it to and please your ear.

The amp is an Ibanez, it sounds OK so far

I live in Kansas City, the music sceen isn't too bad here but I think I have a little way to go before jamming

I did sign up for lessons from a professional bass player, according to the kids in the music shop he is "sick" on the bass, he seems very good at communicating and teaching

As another owner of a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, I can say you've made a great choice. It won't be the last bass you buy (that bass doesn't exist), but it should serve well for, oh, I suppose forever. I believe Geddy Lee has been playing his for some time now. ;)

Now just play, listen, & learn everything you can. And enjoy yourself!

Archived