Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An unwanted challenge

Ross Brown

I just found out that we are playing a one set gig tomorrow night. The problem is that our guitarist is sick and the band has the former guitarist filling in. I have never played/met with this one. The other problem is that this is my first gig in this band. The real problem is that there is a real good chance, based on what I know of the guitarist, that we will end up playing a song or two that I have never played (or heard) before. Hence "former" guitarist ( a little out there)...

I don't really get nervous (beyond normal)but this makes me a little nervous. I have asked for a set list and will probably get it right before the gig. But I know that there is still a good chance that all of the sudden we will be into a song that we didn't discuss. We play classic rock and blues. If I get a key or better yet chord changes in some form, I am fine. I doubt I will.

A part of me likes the challenge but the compulsive side of me is used to triple back up.

Anyone have suggestion on how to handle a new (unheard) song on stage in real time? Turn down volume? Go get a cheesburger until the song is over? Play crap and hope by the end of the song it is not crap?

Thanks

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set yourself up tomorrow night in a good position so you can see this guitar player's hand, talk to him before the gig tell him what you know and that if they want to deviate from these songs that you will need good eye contact and cues to get ya through. If all else fails solo!!

Seriously just have fun with it.

Yes! The guitarist I have been playing with in this band and I have just started getting our cues down. That really helps. For his solos his changes occur at different places, depending on the feel of the song at the time. No problem, he cues me on unexpected changes. Usually my changes and his are the same :)
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Can you not arrange a quick rehearsal between now and then? It would help if you want to keep it professional sounding.

I agree, the challenge might even be quite exciting but I'm not sure it's something I would want to do.

Perhaps you could at least confirm a set of songs you all know how to play before heading out there?

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

No time for rehearsal. Everyone is working. If we stick to a set list I am fine. I am hoping that the original members of the band will keep things in check. They are experienced and professional. I just have heard stories about the guitarist and want to be ready for anything.

Is it better to play bad quietly or loud? Turn it up if it goes well, keep it down if I ain't gettin' it? Just lookin' for anyone with good experience in this regard.

I agree with Seamy D. Have fun with it! I have learned that the more nervous I get about something, the worse I perform! Rely on your training/practice and be CONFIDENT in it! That confidence flows from you to the other members of the band as well as the audience. With that in mind, even if you screw up...stay confident. The audience will more than likely think it's just part of the show. To be a gigging bassist, you obviously know how to listen for changes and improvise bass lines and fills for those changes. Rely upon what you already know. It will get you through what you don't.

:cool:

Love God...Love People!

Ross, I'm sure you're aware of this, but my advice would be to keep it as simple as possible on the tunes you've never played before, in addition to watching the guitarists hands. From what you say about yourself, I'm sure you'll be fine. If you look and act like you know what you're doing, the audience will never know!

I agree with the above; watching the guitarist for this gig is going to be your saving grace in case he goes off into left field. Sometimes it's just quicker/easier to pick up changes visually instead of by ear.

Also, rely on your instincts for impending changes. The hardest thing -- if the only instrumentalists are the one guitar, you and drums -- is going to be the guitar solo. Be ready for a key change or some other nonsense, but hopefully he'll just solo over a normal verse or verse/chorus.

Still, you're going to have to use your ear. In the future, if you want/need more confidence you'll have to train it up. That way you won't need to be in a trance watching someone throughout a song (or set, or entire show).

If you're playing prog rock, and you're expected to follow 3-octave blazing fast scale runs or something like that, it probably ain't going to happen. You might have to simplify and try to stick with the drummer for a more rhythmic approach.

Personally, I'd probably approach it as improv. You already know the style of the band, so use that as a guide. I still remember the advice I was given about imrov jazz solos: if you play a note that sounds horrendous, immediately take it up or down a half step. Chances are the new pitch will fit better, and everyone will think you just played a grace note. ;) This makes it a lot less scary to throw just any ol' note out there.

This may be a case where you don't want to play "less". If you're playing whole notes but there's a lot of fumbling for pitch going on on the downbeat, that'll be noticeable. You could play dotted halfs on beat two, waiting to see exactly what the guitar player is playing, but this may sound weird and/or be impractical (if he's changing chords on every beat, for example). If you're playing 8th notes with a lot of movement, it'll seem less out of place if you play an ugly sharped-5th on the downbeat and immediately slide down to the 5th, then bounce around to the 3rd, root, 7th, whatever.

Rhythm mistakes will be more noticeable than pitch mistakes. That's why you need to play with confidence.

If you do end up making a major mistake somewhere along the ways, try to cover it up as best as possible, and make it look like you did it on purpose. If you hit a downbeat and everybody else suddenly drops out -- surprise! -- you now get a mini solo.

Thanks all. I will show up and play. Most of what we will do will be songs that we have played before. I know that there will be some that I have never played before (or maybe even heard before).

I appreciate all of the the thoughts and I will use them. The solos will be tricky. It is bass, guitar and drums. We sound full with the guitar player that we usually play with. I worry about rythym "holes" with the new guy (my rythym holes). I will have fun. I would rather do it than sit at home. My wife is going along for the laugh... She is great.

It's kinda scary to be onstage and not know a tune.

It happens. I watch the guitar chords and fight my way through it, but it's never great.

And if its not good, make a joke out of it. Audiences love to hear a total bust up if the rest of the set is good.

Case in point: One time I was at a live concert of Tuck and Patti. (If you are not familiar with them, they are amazing. You need to know that Tuck arranges music so he covers the bass, rhythm and lead guitar at the same time.)

In those shows, Tuck plays solo guitar through the intermission, while Patti rests her voice. At this show, he played his specatular solo versions that have been released and are well known.

Then he played an arrangement of a tune he discarded; Stevie Wonder's "I Wish." It was evidently too difficult...he had the bass and rhythm and melody working, but he tried to cover a horn solo and crashed. He told us he could never get it; this was the best he could do.

It ranks in my memory as one of the most impressive performances I've ever heard, but it crashed.

Have a good time.

After a little research, I've found that Tuck has recorded this tune. However, his wife sang the melody, giving him a little relief! It's on the album "Dream."

Come to think of it, it might have been "Superstition."

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Use those ears! If you're playing classic rock and blues, you should be okay so long as the mystery tunes in question don't have labyrinth-esque forms to them.

I had to fake "Someone to Watch Over Me" on stage once. I failed. :D

It didn't kill me though...it was just embarassing.

Thanks Dave.

I know I'll have fun. It is a good excercise for me to put aside my compulsions (temporarily). The band leader e mailed to me late last night another song that we will probably play. Straight blues pattern... cool. I have never played it but it sounds like fun.

Funny thing about using ears. Sometimes they work, sometimes they seem to be doing something else. My ears are definately getting better with experience.

Originally posted by Ross Brown:

Funny thing about using ears. Sometimes they work, sometimes they seem to be doing something else. My ears are definately getting better with experience.

The mark of a true bassist!

Love God...Love People!

Played the gig last night. The former guitarist from our band (that I never met or played with before)played with his band first, then we went on and he filled in for our guitarist (who has the flu). Went well. His band played one of the songs that we were going to do but oh well, we just left it out.

He did a nice job. First song was rough and disconnected but after that all was good. Had some laughs on mistakes, I don't think the crowd heard. My wife (who tells it like it is) said first song was junk and the rest of the night was really good.

No real curveballs. I was sure that there would be. It was good experience to be prepared mentally. Thanks for all of the insight and suggestions. I did set up so I could watch guitarist for changes. His counting/feel was for changes during solos was just a little different than mine. Really worked to watch him instead of just listen.

Archived