Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing with Oz Noy in SF...reminder

Jonathan Herrera

Sorry to clog with this, but I'm playing with Oz Noy and Deszon Claiborne tomorrow night (tuesday) at the Boom Boom Room, fillmore and geary.

Oz shreds. Check out oznoy.com. Also in the opening band, with Jude Gold and Diz dismore.

Thanks! Hope to see you there...should be a few BP editors in the crowd, so a good chance to say hi!

jonathan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Oz's CD "Ha!" It's killer.

I encourage all of you out San Fran way to catch Oz while he's gigging in your area. AND, it's like an added bonus to get to enjoy the bass stylings of BP editor, Jonathan Herrera!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I love Oz's playing. It took me a little while to 'get' him as I found him a bit intense at first. He always chooses the best rhythm sections! Wish I was in SF right now! If anyone doesn't know Oz's playing, check out these previous threads or his homepage for audio and video. Exciting stuff!

thread one courtesy of Dr Sweet Willie

thread two coutesy of DONUT - check the video!

Dezson, didn't he used to play with Peter Apfelbaum and his Hieoglyphics thingy.

Hey Jonathon, I heard you were at LAMA. Were Steve Billman and Ed Lucie teaching there then?

Yeah, it's that Deszon, from Apfelbaum's band. Great player and a sweet guy. Always like showing up at a gig and seeing Deszon back there smiling!

Yup, I went to LAMA for a little while. Ed Lucie was chair of the bass department...Steve Billman occasionally came and taught, but he wasn't a regular member of the faculty at that point. I believe that has since changed. I believe Ed left, if I'm not mistaken. Jerry Watts is running the program now.

Off to a session all day with another great drummer...Atma Anur. You guys know Atma? I'm doing a record with him and Lindsey Boullt, this crazy shredder guitarist. I'll make sure to tell you how to get it when it's done. Atma is insane.

Hope to see some of you tonight! Should be a really good time, presuming Deszon, Oz, and mine's 30 minutes of rehearsal tonight at soundcheck pays off! Keep the fingers crossed...

Thanks Jonathon, enjoy the gig (and you, Jeremy)- wish I was there! I'd encourage anyone who can to go.

Yeah, smiling drummers, that's what we like!

Ed is a great teacher and speaks his mind strongly, I'll have to ask around why he left. Steve is very sweet and a great player and teacher, I got an immense amount from private lessons from him. Jerry will do a good job. Oops, don't want to derail the thread!

Will check out Atma Anur and Lindsey Boullt!

Man I wish I was in the Bay Area right now!

Hey, Jonathan, it was nice to meet you tonight! :wave:

Jonathan played really well tonight, with both bands! He's an extremely talented musician. :thu:

And Oz Noy simply blew my mind! :eek:

Here are some crappy cell phone pics I took at the show tonight:

http://www.bunnyknutson.com/images/Digital-Photos/OzNoy-SF-BoomBoomRoom-032106/OzNoy-05.jpg

http://www.bunnyknutson.com/images/Digital-Photos/OzNoy-SF-BoomBoomRoom-032106/OzNoy-07.jpg

http://www.bunnyknutson.com/images/Digital-Photos/OzNoy-SF-BoomBoomRoom-032106/OzNoy-08.jpg

http://www.bunnyknutson.com/images/Digital-Photos/OzNoy-SF-BoomBoomRoom-032106/OzNoy-09.jpg

http://www.bunnyknutson.com/images/Digital-Photos/OzNoy-SF-BoomBoomRoom-032106/OzNoy-10.jpg

Jonathan Herrera rules!

He played with both bands and held down his end in an admirable fashion!

The two bands had very different rhythmic feels, so he had to switch gears.

Oz Noy and Jonathan and Deszon had less than a half hour to rehearse two 45 minute sets of music, so they were pretty much sightreading. There were a lot of unusual unison accents in the music and Jonathan nailed them all. I especially liked his "body English" when hitting accents.

Oz is a very unique guitarist in terms of rhythms, melodic choices and sound. I could not tell who this guy has been listening to...he seems to have come out of nowhere to create what he does.

I haven't heard anyone use a ring modulator in a long time and somehow Oz managed to use his in a musical fashion.

He kept prying all kinds of sounds out of his Strat. Of course, he did have two large pedalboards :)

I have no idea where he was getting his rhythmic ideas or melodic ideas.

I'll have to get his cds and listen for a long time to try to figure out what he was doing.

Bunny, sorry we didn't get to meet each other. Who knows, we might have been standing or sitting next to each other, it's a pretty small club.

Originally posted by Jonathan Herrera:

Sorry to clog with this, but I'm playing with Oz Noy and Deszon Claiborne tomorrow night (tuesday) at the Boom Boom Room, fillmore and geary.

jonathan

Damn, double damn, triple DAMN!!

I didn't see this until just now.

My pal James Nash (Waybacks guitarist) was in attendance and was truly astounded by Oz. James is a reasonably astounding player himself, so when he's astounded, there must truly be some most righteous astoundination (yeah, deal with it) going on.

Sorry I missed the show. James was kind enough to loan me his Oz Noy CD for tonight's drive -- I'll be doing the mindless I-5 shuffle to SoCal.

Spankin' the plank all the way to the bank!

JoeKyleJr.com

Yeah, Oz is definitely an astounding guitar player - and musician!

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Bunny, sorry we didn't get to meet each other. Who knows, we might have been standing or sitting next to each other, it's a pretty small club.

Yeah, I would like to have met you, but I hadn't read this thread before I went to the show. Heh, we probably were standing right next to each other. I saw Stephen Fortner there.

What a show! Jonathan tore it up, all night long! :thu::thu:

Wow...thanks for all the kindness. I truly appreciate everybody making it out. It was an incredible night of music...exhausting, but a lot of fun.

To answer the questions, umm...the hardest tune was probably "Say What?!" It's got a lot of tricky syncopated hits, and those sections are all alike, but for an extra beat here or there. Plus the groove itself is hard to make feel good. It's a simple part note-wise, but it's going by at a fast clip and its quite syncopated...Oz was saying most of his bass players seem to grapple the most with that.

The most fun tune? Hmm...they're all fun. Seriously. Ha! is fun because it's just this big pocket to play with, and it's fun to solo over because there's all this space to probe in and out of and work against.

It was a blast. It's always a blessing to have a solid challenge like that to confront.

Thanks again.

Jonathan Herrera

Archived