Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Prince Culls his Setlist

getz out

Source:

Pop icon PRINCE has vowed never to sing 50 of his own songs again, because of their explicit content. The PURPLE RAIN hitmaker, who became a Jehovah's Witness six years ago (2000), has removed songs including CREAM and GET OFF from his live repertoire, and insists there is enough music containing vulgar language already. He says, "You can't push the envelope any further than I've pushed it. So stop. "What's the point? So much of what we see on TV and hear on the radio is debased. I will not add to that."

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure he was already doing this and/or had done this on his Musicology tour - any song that was "racy" or had "naughty bits" in it was absent from his setlist the night I saw him. I really don't care one way or the other as he still kicked ass sans naughty songs.

Hmm... I wonder if this means the yellow, assless pants are out, too?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

i think that it's ok if he self censors himself - he has that right - but it makes a lot of everything he's stood up against in the past completely null and void. When the Reagan Admin tried to use his music for a case of state censorship in music etc...he was against it. And when he accused Warner of making him into a soulless product he rebelled.

I'm just saying that sexual thought exists when we all walk down the street, let alone when we turn on the sexy TV and watch the sexy adverts and shows - it shouldn't be a shameful thing to sing about it - that would deny it's existence.

Now - 'crappy' songs about sex, that don't mention it ('Let's Get Rocked!') should be taken off the artists play list - for dignity's sake.

I'm gonna cut him some slack for now. I don't do/agree with some behaviors/ideas that I did a few years ago. People change, perspective's change. I look at things quite differently now than even 5 years ago. Add a baby in the mix and things change even more.

I like some of the "dirty" tunes, but I think many of the others are great as well. As long as he is making the decesion, it's his choice.

Originally posted by Matt W:

What happens to funk, as a genre, if all the songs about sex, drugs, alcohol, and sex are removed?

Well, you wind up stuff like Aretha and The Temptations and Ray Charles and Sam & Dave, and Lou Rawls and Gatemouth Brown and a hundred others. You know, the people who really got funk started in the first place?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

What happens to funk, as a genre, if all the songs about sex, drugs, alcohol, and sex are removed?

Funk is funk, and doesn't depend on explicit sexual content for its funkiness, any more than rock needs it. Check out some contemporary black gospel to hear uncompromising funk with no references to "sex, drugs, alcohol".

(This sounds high-toned and I don't mean it to be. Just my $00.02.)

Originally posted by Grant Sharkey:

When the Reagan Admin tried to use his music for a case of state censorship in music etc...he was against it.

Uh, when was that? I must have missed it.

I think you're overstating what occurred.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Originally posted by dcr:

Originally posted by CMDN:

Yours or his?
Well, I guess that depends on whether or not Eric becomes a Jehovah's Witness too...

Hey Eric, are you famous yet, or what?

I recall a joke Paula Poundstone siad on one of the Comic Relief shows. She said, what's up with Prince attributing all his lyrics to God? Can you picture God, up on the Throne and all, asking Himself "What's the best thing I ever wrote? Well, there's always the Ten Commandments, and oh yeah, that 'lick me till I'm blind' thing..."

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by dcr:

quote:Originally posted by CMDN:

Yours or his?

Well, I guess that depends on whether or not Eric becomes a Jehovah's Witness too...

Hey Eric, are you famous yet, or what?

Mine are black. You should have guessed that.

And I'll never retire them. Because AHM DEAD SEXXXAY!

BTW, I'm gettin' a little more famous than I'd like right about now. I really have to post the whole story sometime soon. Ugh. It's gotten away from me...

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by Yours Truly:

This was a generalization... a smart-a** comment. I am well aware that there is plenty of funky music that deals with other subjects.

Originally posted by jcadmus:

Originally posted by Grant Sharkey:

When the Reagan Admin tried to use his music for a case of state censorship in music etc...he was against it.

Uh, when was that? I must have missed it.

I think you're overstating what occurred.

Start Here , and do a little reading about Tipper Gore and her organization.

I'll be reading on that, because i'm not exactly an expert. :thu:

WARNING - Explicit picture if you follow the wikipedia link to Parents Music Resource Center.

- Matt W.

Start Here , and do a little reading about Tipper Gore and her organization.

I'll be reading on that, because i'm not exactly an expert. :thu:

WARNING - Explicit picture if you follow the wikipedia link to Parents Music Resource Center.

Uh, heh, yeah, see last I checked Tipper Gore was not a member of the Reagan Administration.

She was and is the wife of then-Senator and later Vice President Al Gore, a Democrat.

And the PMRC never advocated censorship -- they sought labeling for recordings that contained explicit content, much like they had on movies at the time and now on CDs and television programs.

But some recording artists, most likely fearing a loss of record sales more than a loss of freedom, cried "censorship."

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Originally posted by Yours Truly:

This was a generalization... a smart-a** comment. I am well aware that there is plenty of funky music that deals with other subjects...
'K! I usually need a smiley because I'm not good with subtlety...

At the same time I get what you mean because there is an intrinsic sensuality to funk. Or as Danny Kaye said in A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court, "We putteth in the brass to getteth out the lead..."

point being, the man has decided he doesn't want to perform songs he no longer finds appropriate. that's his perogative what he wants to do with his own catalog (he also vowed at his new years 2000 show at madison square garden to never perform 1999 again after the clock struck midnight). the man found god. there's lots of people on this forum, not to mention outside of it, that have.

and so what he won't perform it? i can't afford prince tickets so for all i care he can get on stage and recite nursery rhymes for an hour before closing with 10 gil scott heron covers, i'll stay home and listen to purple rain.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived