Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Bass ;-)

Luke73

Mmmm...my Rockbass Corvette has been getting lonely of late, and I've been hankering for something a little different to play with.

I've been thinking for a while that the OLP gear looks decent enough, and not having $3000AUD for a real Stingray, I figured $400AUD was more my speed. Actually, I did compare an MM2 with a real Ray, just for fun and I gotta say, I think the real Ray is much much nicer...but $2600 nicer...???

Checked out about half a dozen of the mm2's before I found this one. I certainly wouldn't buy one mail order...unless they had a satisfaction guarantee. Of the half a dozen I played, only one was good enough for me to take home. Mostly cosmetic/finishing defects, though - all of them played acceptably well, and didn't have any huge problems a decent setup wouldn't sort.

At the end of the day, I picked up the Flame Honeyburst MM2 pictured below.

$399 AUD.

Actually, after a small touch up on the back of the neck and some sanding, a good oil of the fingerboard, some new DR Hi-Beams, a little truss rod tweak, change in pup height and setting the intonation, it's pretty damn nice! :D

I have a gig this weekend, but having not tested the MM2 with the band, I'll take the trusty Corvette :thu: I'm looking forward to giving the MM2 a run at rehearsal next week though!

:thu:

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/pics/corvetteandmm2.jpg

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/pics/mm2.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luke, I'm very glad you posted this. I've been very seriously considering OLP MM2 since I tried one at GC recently. CMDN had a thread on here not too long ago saying how much he enjoyed using one in a pinch.

Although they are inexpensive instruments, most folks seem to think they are very good quality.

Joe

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

Originally posted by jmrunning3:

Luke, I'm very glad you posted this. I've been very seriously considering OLP MM2 since I tried one at GC recently. CMDN had a thread on here not too long ago saying how much he enjoyed using one in a pinch.

Although they are inexpensive instruments, most folks seem to think they are very good quality.

Joe

I really think they're a pretty decent bass for the price, but seriously, be sure to play the one you like before you buy it. As I said, I went through five before I found one good enough to take home.

The bad ones, I wouldn't have in my house, but when you find a good one, they're pretty nice. :thu:

It's really just a consistency issue. No two I've looked at have been the same (OK, I know all instruments are unique, but you know what I mean).

:D

Archived