Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SansAmp Programmable Review

Tom Capasso

If you settle on some settings, please post them here! Best of luck with your peddle.

I'm still saving my money. The longer I wait, the more great deals Getz finds for me. He's a master!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The requests here and the bass microphone shootout on the Use Your Ears Forum have inspired me to do something.

This something involves Tom Capasso.

What is that something?

Great question! Glad you asked.

The plan is as follows:

http://mauryspadoto.com/LDLD/reamping_shootout.jpg

We will end up with the following audio for comparison:

1) Clean DI (Countryman Type 85)

2) Effected DI (SansAmp BDDI)

3) Microphone

a) EV PL-20

b) Sennheiser MD421mkII

c) Shure SM57

d) CAD e100

I may also reamp a couple of different settings of the SansAmp BDDI.

Hopefully I will get this done in the next month. I will either bump this thread or start a new one.

Feedback is welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

This happened on Saturday. I went to Maury's and we made some noise using the strategy above. Maury recorded three different clips using the Lull "soiled snowball" and put them into one track. I recorded three different bits using my Kinal and put them together. These two tracks formed the bassis of what happened next.

Maury set up the equipment so that track 1 played out through Radial and into my EA iAmp500 and his Berg EX112. We set up 4 different microphones and recorded his and my "base" tracks through this rig. I had the EQ set as I use the EA for all of this (Maury took pics, so you can see how it was set).

Then Maury put the output into the SansAmp and back in to get the tracks "effected". We used the three settings that I'd programmed, and the 3 "defaults" that come with the SansAmp out of the box.

For each of our clips, there is the clean track, 4 mic'd tracks, and 6 SansAmp tracks.

Maury is working on putting this together and posting it. I'm sure it will take some time, but we're a bit closer!

One great aspect of this experience was that I was able to hear myself play through my amp and cab without having to think about playing. That may seem silly, but the repeated playback confirmed that I like the sound of my rig. At one point (when testing levels) I hit the "EQ flat" button to see how the amp sounded flat. It sounded good, but the EQ changes I made sounded better. That was a nice confirmation as well.

Thanks to Maury for the time. He was also very welcoming about the "adjustments" I made to the MauryBoard while I had it. He had some gaffer's tape on the bottom to help keep it from skidding, but I didn't think that was the best idea, so I screwed on some feet. I also used some silver engine paint that my son has to put a "racing stripe" on it!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Damn it, one more thing to go play with and see if I might be able to live without!

The review is great, Tom! Thanks for all the work you guys are putting into this. We're all sitting on the edge of our seats.

Archived