Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lakland 4-94

abc

Tested a pre-owned 4-94 dlx today and got some serious GAS. Maybe a little bit on the expensive side, but ....

Since I have a trip planned to Chicago it would be very interesting to know how the used market are for it in the US. Maybe you also have an idea how much a used one is?

BR/Christer

"Your mind is writing checks your body can't cash"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They sell used around here for roughly $2000.00 US.

Lakland is about to do a price increase, so you may want to hurry. You can also call Lakland and occassionally get a tour of the facility.

"For instance" is not proof.

Dan Lakand (his real name) is a cool guy. He'll take thru the tour himself. He's just a small time guy that make a great handmade instrument. I have 2 of his 35" scale 5-strings. Now I want a tabacco Sunburst 4-string to complete my arsenal. Ken

Owners of the USA series swear by them and say the money is well spent (over the Skyline series).

I've got 3 Skylines, with a fourth on the way (in a couple of weeks) and I love them. I don't know if I could justify the $$$ increase of the USA series for myself. The Skylines are great basses, especially at those prices. Plus, I bought all of mine used except for the newest one.

Dan Lakin does occasionally host tours of the shop. Check and see if it can be arranged. There's usually more than a few different basses to try out...

And if you buy one, get your pic up on the Lakland Enthusiast page, like this:

Enthusiasts

:cool:

:wave:

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

i took a tour of the shop one time i went to chicago. it was a quick tour, but being able to play a large selection of their instruments made it very fun.

email them if you're interested in a tour. the fact that you're coming in from Sweden should convince them.

i would guess their instruments are cheaper here than there. you might be able to pick one up used. follow prices on ebay, at basscentral.com, bassgear.com, harmony-central.com, and talkbass.com to get an idea of what they sell for and how many are available.

robb.

Originally posted by Ken Woodward:

Dan Lakand (his real name) is a cool guy.

It's Lakin. The brand "Lakland" is a combination of his name and the name of his business partner, Hugh McFarland.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by 09:

They sell used around here for roughly $2000.00 US.

Lakland is about to do a price increase, so you may want to hurry. You can also call Lakland and occassionally get a tour of the facility.

OK, so they don't seem to be any cheaper over there :(

Originally posted by JBFLA:

Owners of the USA series swear by them and say the money is well spent (over the Skyline series).

I've got 3 Skylines, with a fourth on the way (in a couple of weeks) and I love them. I don't know if I could justify the $$$ increase of the USA series for myself. The Skylines are great basses, especially at those prices. Plus, I bought all of mine used except for the newest one.

Dan Lakin does occasionally host tours of the shop. Check and see if it can be arranged. There's usually more than a few different basses to try out...

And if you buy one, get your pic up on the Lakland Enthusiast page, like this:

Enthusiasts

:cool:

:wave:

Jim

My big headache now is if I could justify this bass :D

The bass is put on hold, will have closer look on it tomorrow.

Will this bass make me a better player? - probably not.

On the other side I've always been struggling with different issues with my basses; not satisfied with tone - changing PU's, "Is this bent metal sheet really good?" - changing for a new bridge and so on. Always searching for the holy Grail. With this bass I can lean back and concentrate on music.... at least for a while .... :=)

I really dig this bass, the versatility of the PU's, a very, very nice neck and of course the looks of it.

The bass is equipped with the opt. Duncan's, the sound is told to be a little more aggressive compared to the Bart's. Together with the maple finger board and ash body the bass is maybe more suitable for a slap player? (I'm mainly a finger player)That's one of the things to evaluate further tomorrow.

>>>Will this bass make me a better player? - probably not<<<

Agreed - but a great instrument definitely won't make you a worse player. If it really suits you and your perception is that it's easier or more fun to play, then you maight play better with it than without it.

i don't think that it's more for slap or fingerstyle. it's just whether you prefer a thicker, rounder sound or a more aggressive, biting tone. i didn't find the bartolini system to be dark sounding, just maybe a bit richer. if i were buying, i'd have to try both to make a choice. if only one were available, for whatever reason, i'd be happy with it if i liked the tones available.

another thought -- lakland started offering their own pickups and preamp, which you may want to explore, as well. they haven't determined the cost of the retrofit yet, though.

robb.

ABC.....remember this. As musicians, we all search for the holy grail, but to each of us that holy grail is rarely the same. And even more rare is finding all facets of it. Enjoy the Lak, concentrate on your music, and tweak it in the mix. Let your fingers do the walking.
I seek knowledge from the winds of destiny , Wisdom from the seas of time, and honor from within myself. Lost in a land where bass and time collide.

Archived