Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Katrina has taken my beloved Grandmother

Connie Z

Yesterday at 3am, my Grandmother Rosemary (whom we affectionately called RoRo) passed away peacefully in her sleep. :cry:

She was 84 and has been in poor health for many years. She was completely disabled, and couldn't even sit up by herself in the bed. She had to be turned every few hours, to stop bedsores from forming, and had to be lifted out of the bed with a special "lift" device to get into a wheelchair, which they did twice a day.

Despite all of this, she wanted to keep living, and had an obsessive love of my Grandfather, and was funny and demanding and silly and loving. She always remembered our birthdays and anniversaries, and loved to celebrate her own birthday with multiple birthday parties.

She and my Grandfather lived in a retirement apartment complex, and were really fortunate to have a nursing-type of service available to them, so that my Grandmother got all of the care she needed.

During hurricane Katrina, she and my Grandfather, who is 87, spent the night at a local hospital, East Jefferson, in what was called the "special needs" section for evacuation. Since my Grandmother could not travel in a car, they always had to stay in the city in the special needs shelter. Normally, this was not a big issue, because the day after the storm, we would all come home, and it would be over. I was always pleased that they were in a hospital, because I had worked in a hospital for years, and always felt completely safe during hurricanes, which I always worked during.

When all hell broke loose and everything was flooding and the electricity went out, the hospital had its share of troubles. My Grandparents stayed there for several days, while my Uncle who lives in Kentucky was frantically trying to make arrangements to get them out.

We were stuck in Tunica, Mississippi, and miserable and not able to do anything, because our phones and all of the phones of all of our contacts were not working because they were in the "504" area code, which was essentially out.

My Uncle managed to hook up with a brave and wonderful private helicopter pilot who was running rescue missions. He transported my Grandparents to a hospital in Gonzalez, Lousiana, which is about an hour from the New Orleans area.

They stayed at that hospital for about a full week, and then my Uncle made arrangements for them to be med-evac'd to Kentucky.

By that time, we had found hotel rooms near Lake Charles, Louisiana.

My Mom and my husband and I were able to go to the hospital on the day of the med-evac flight to see them and say goodbye and see them off on the flight and make sure everything went OK.

I am so glad that I was able to see her that day, because in the 6 months that she's been living in Kentucky, I have not had the opportunity to see her.

My Mom and Step-Dad went up about a month ago, and my Mom and Step-Dad and I were going to take a trip up there in the middle of March.

My whole life down here has been so overwhelming and hectic, and having my Grandparents so far away was a major drag.

But the good part was that my family in Kentucky are some of the most loving and beautiful people you could ever know, and they have totally devoted themselves to my Grandparents for the last 6 months.

Unfortunately, my Grandmother developed a very large bedsore during this whole ordeal, which would not heal and became very very painful. They moved her to a beautiful hospice facility and were treating her with morphine for the pain, and over just a few days, she made the move from life to death.

I feel very sad and am just totally amazed at the changes this hurricane dealt to our lives.

Her wake/funeral is this coming Saturday, which will be here in New Orleans.

The funeral home is only able to offer 2 1/2 hour time slots for everything, because they are so overwhelmed with business. The mosoleum where my Grandparents have purchased their crypts was flooded, and there is a terrible odor, that has still not subsided, which means that we will not be able to have a funeral service at the crypt. Only my Grandfather and a few immediate family members will attend her interment.

It is all still so surreal. Pretty soon there will not be any elderly people left in this area, because it seems as though they are all dying. Every person I speak with has lost an elderly relative since Katrina.

Thanks for listening and for sharing this with me. I am very very very sad. :cry::cry::cry:

I have to be out of town from Wednesday till Friday, so I may not be able to visit this thread till the weekend.

... connie

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to hear about this, Connie. These losses hurt. I'm glad, though, that she was able to keep herself & her love of living going to such a great age. I'm also glad that you seem to have such a supportive & close family--you all need each other. Especially, I'd think your grandfather needs the ones he loves to pull in close around him.

God bless.

I am saddened to hear about your loss Connie. I will pray for the Lord to bless you and your family as you all deal with this painful time.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I am so sorry Connie. Your grandmother sounds like a wonderful person who still had a great love of life.

Peace sweetie.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family Connie, celebrate your grandmothers life as she has touched yours. She sounds like a wonderful woman that any of us would have been honored to know and hang with.

Peace and Prayers,

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

We are grieving with you, Connie. Especially those who share similar losses.

Death as a result of a natural disaster can often become minimalized, almost statistical. You remind us that each person who died as a result of the hurricane was indeed a real soul, giving and receiving love.

I'm thankful that your Grandmother lived the kind of life where she is remembered by her love. You have been nurtured by that love, and in turn, you nurture, keeping her alive and spreading her message to all of us.

Thank you for not breaking that chain.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Connie- so sorry to hear about this. I'll offer up prayers, and these words to one of my favorite Marillion songs :

No one leaves you

When you live in their heart and mind

And no one dies

They just move to the other side

When we're gone

Watch the world simply carry on

We live on laughing and in no pain

We'll stay and be happy

With those who have loved us today

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I'm so sorry to hear this, Connie. As I was reading your post I was thinking about how guilty I am of exactly what Dave Brown described. About how deaths from natural disasters become statistical in our minds if we are one of the fortunate that escaped the nightmare. I'll be praying for everyone whos lives were touched by one who had a well-founded passion for life.

Connie,

My deepest sympathies and heartfelt prayers go out to you and your family. I have always found these words from Tennyson to be both inspiration and comfort at times like this.

"Crossing the Bar"

"Sunset and evening star,

And one clear call for me !

And may there be no moaning of the bar,

When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,

Too full for sound and foam,

When that which drew from out the boundless deep

Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,

And after that the dark !

And may there be no sadness of farewell,

When I embark;

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place

The flood may bear me far,

I hope to see my Pilot face to face

When I have crossed the bar."

These days, with all the media blitz's and the media glorifing these events (which makes me sick to my stomach) its very easy to overlook the fact that, yes, these were real people, people who loved and who were loved, people who had their own hopes and dreams, desires and fears.

your story is touchingly sad, and a good reminder that the media's protrayal of these events isn't really the way it goes down, that real people, with real families and loved ones, just like you and I, are the ones who suffered.

God bless you Connie

Check out my work in progress.

Thank you everyone for the beautiful words and thoughts you have expressed.

I am leaving to go out of town at 5:30am, and will be back late Friday night, in time to attend my Grandmother's services Saturday morning. :cry:

My whole family and all friends are coming to my house afterwards, and I hope that it will be a healing time full of nice memories being shared.

Thank you again. I cannot tell you how much it means to read what you've written. Here on the forum and in the PMs, which I'll not be able to answer till I get back.

... connie

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Connie, my heart is heavy for your loss, you are such a wonderful soul, which I know first hand. I hate that you have to feel this sorrow and I share it with you, but i also have to say, it is my very COMMITED belief that your Granny is now rejoicing with the Lord and that she suffers no more from that terrible bedsore or any other ailment. I truly believe she is restored in Heaven. The pain if for those who remain here. I pray for comfort and peace for you. And send a big hug

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Archived