Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberger Question

jeremy c

Dear Friends,

One of my students showed up today with an original Steinberger bass which he got as part some great package "estate sale".

He wanted me to help set it up so that it would be playable.

It appears as if this instrument's neck has a back bow. I raised the action considerably which solved the fret buzz enough to make the bass playable, but as far as I could see there is not a truss rod in this bass.

I did not remove the neck....that would have been going a little past a lesson set-up.

So, dear friends, is there any way to adjust the neck of a Steinberger? Or since it is a graphite neck, it is what it is?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if they have a truss rod in them but I did find this:

"Lifetime Warranty -- Steinberger owners are protected from defects in materials and workmanship for life. Our Limited Warranty is unique in the industry. It means we have the highest confidence that our products will consistently perform for over a lifetime of normal use."

I imagine they would replace the neck for free if it's warped.

Modulus has a lifetime warranty on their necks. The original neck on my Q4 twisted and Modulus replaced it for free. Rather nice that they stand behind their warranty.

Cool...see if you can hold them to that warranty. I'm wondering if it extends past the original owner? I understand it (which might be wrong), Modulus lifetime warranties only apply to the original owner.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Bump-

I strongly doubt the warranty is still valid. The Steinberger company and the corporate entity that made that bass is long gone.

In the '80s, Ned Steinberger's factory was in my home town of Newburgh, NY. When he closed shop, he stiffed my father's hardware store for a few thousand of dollars in unpaid invoices. Asshole.

Archived