Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Video is UP on the Phaedrus webpage

PhaedusMusic.com

OK, so I put a video of the Phaedrus Bass in action on the webpage, in case anyone out there wants to see what it looks/sounds like when being played.

Please excuse the sloppy playing, I ain't no wizard:

http://www.phaedrusmusic.com/

and go to the Video' section.

I'll get a better bass player to do a video once I get my act together...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by PhaedusMusic.com:

OK, so I put a video of the Phaedrus Bass in action on the webpage, in case anyone out there wants to see what it looks/sounds like when being played.

Please excuse the sloppy playing, I ain't no wizard:

http://www.phaedrusmusic.com/

and go to the Video' section.

I'll get a better bass player to do a video once I get my act together...

Hi Phaedrus!

Very strange and interesting! If you do another video, please include more of the lower notes. I was craving the low end!

I noticed that in the specs, you said that a regular bass weighs about 10 pounds, and this one weighs 13 pounds. Why does it weigh more?

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Hi Thayer, thanks for the movie clip. I think it sounds great.

I have a few questions, though.

Could we see a picture of the back of the bass? I'm wondering where the upper strap peg is located...it's hard to tell in the movie how you are getting past it to play in the upper register. Is it attached to the spring apparatus in the back? Again, it's hard to visualize.

Also, I noticed you hand position near the pickup. Have you had any comments on that? It seems like at one part of the movie, the pickup housing is interfering with your playing. What is the length from the "nut" to the pickup housing?

Have you considered working with stainless or some sort of hard coating over the steel?

You know, if you made a lined 'board, I'd consider buying one, but I imagine that would me hard to commit to since there's no easy way to intonate it. Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing your choices...I'm just thinking out loud.

I wish you the best of luck...it sounds unique!

Oh, and have you been able to easily source strings that have no nylon windings at the ball end?

"For instance" is not proof.

-I'll have some mp3's up there in about a week. eventually i wanna get a rippin' player to realy kick ass on it.

-it weighs so much because it's all steel, baby! the weight is evenly distibuted throughout the instrument (usually the neck section weighs a lot less that the body, but not here). it's heavy, but not awkward.

-the neck peg us located at the 12th fret. it doesn't get in the way of your fret hand.

-i'll put up a pic of the back o' the bass soon.

-yeah, the pickup housing gets in the way, but you get used to it, and it's a place to rest your hand. the only problem, really, is learning how to mute the string with the palm of your hand. how often do you mute noteson bass, though?

-the vibrating string is 35", and it's about 31" from the nut to the pickup housing.

-eventually i wan to have the chromed, etc. i got a lot of plans!!! finding strings for them is no problem.

keep the questions comin'! anyone in the LA area want to take a stab at dong a better demo video for me? we can tape it at my place in Venice.

09, if you go to the "Images" tab on the website you can see the answers to some of your questions in the second Patent Drawing.

The strap connects to the back of the 12th "fret." While it isn't a lined fretless, it has side lines and dots for markers.

I'm still not understanding what the spring does on the back. The website says it's to keep the neck away from your body so you can play up high but I'm having trouble visualizing how it does that.

Still looks way cool in my book and as far as I can tell from an online video on crappy headphones, it seems to sound good.

So, does the spring just act as a spacer between your stomache and the neck? If so, why does it need to be a spring? Is there any way you could get a good pic of it while somebody's playing or holding it showing the spring?

Sounds like something Les Claypool would play. Maybe you should get him to do your demo, if possible.

I liked it, however it's not for me.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Dude - After watching your video, I must admit that your bass sounds much better than I thought it would. It's just visually not my thing. But that's just me, my tastes tend to run more old school.

For instance, I greatly prefer this

http://www.bcautos.com/musclecars/70dodgeta.jpg

to this

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2001/tokyo/highlights/images/nissan-z1518s.jpg

I do wish you the best of luck with this. :thu: I sincerely hope that your new bass catches on. It will be fun to have seen it from the beginning.

Push the button Frank.

i emailed les claypool's management to try one out, but they ignored me. = - (

ANYBODY KNOW LES, OR ANY OTHER FAMOUS OR UP-AND-COMING, TOURING BASS PLAYERS WHO MIGHT WANT TO TRY/ENDORSE PHAEDRUS? they'd get a free bass, some shirts, and we'll see where it goes from there...

the intro price for the 5-string will probably be around 600 bucks. i'll hopefully have a 5-string made by mid-march... i also have planned: a fretted version, a stand-up, a guitar, a slide guitar, a mandolin and a sitar! maybe even an acoustic.

-thayer

As far as the 'look' goes, i'm working on having different bodies that you can bolt on for different purposes.

a P-bass shape, a giant demon head, anything goes, as well as something to bolt onto the top of the neck.

Snap-on Bodies?!?! That's a pretty cool idea.

I have a gig in Hollywood on April 1st. Maybe I can cruise up early and check it out. However, by no means am I famous or know anyone famous.

I love it. A question was posed earlier. What were you playing this through?

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Archived