Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Of "new" music, the Composers Concordance, and 7-string bass

_Sweet Willie_

I just got home from being in the audience at an entirely fascinating gig.

This evening I was at the Cutting Room (19 W. 24th St.) for the Composers Concordance show titled: The Guitar, Improvised and Otherwise: New Works for Electric and Acoustic Guitar.

I primarily went to hear my friend, Dan Cooper, perform his Concertino for 7-string bass guitar. Although originally performed w/ a chamber orchestra up in Albany -- click here for past thread about this composition and performance -- Dan performed tonight with a drummer and digitized orchestra. It's a gripping 3-movement gem, with exciting rhythmic movement and fascinating harmonizations.

Before the show, this gig was described to me as likely being an event full of "avant kookiness." It lived up to this billing. From a guitar playing robot ("Guitarbot") playing the opening composition to a electric guitar/cello duet to a pair of excellent solo classical guitar pieces to an acoustic guitar quartet to an almost fully improvised piece played by two electric guitars and a cello to Dan's piece, it was definitely an evening of experimental music. I found almost all of it thought-provoking and exciting, with the improvisational trio not quite connecting with my sensibilities (or lack thereof).

Anyway, I may try to make more of these Composers Concordance performances -- even if they don't feature electric bass!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really wish that we could get more interesting stuff like this around here. Did they ever manage to record the piece for distribution?
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• 4 weeks later...

Archived