Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Super Bowl

ATM

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt so sorry for the band. I could see their glances at each other, so I am assuming that they could not near themselves through the monitors in addition to the general TV sound being poor. The audience looked like they were moving to the grooves, so I am assuming that the stadium sound was ok.

Live music is very stressful sometimes. I think you are right, heads are gonna get knocked! Although I have no idea how they successfully pull that off with so little time to do it, with so many things that can go wrong.

But I still enjoyed the show very much!

BUT I was very disappointed that the bass player was so neglected by the camera!

... connie

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

I felt like it got a little better after the first song. I have my surround sound on in the living room with a stadium type reverb, and it sounded much better there than it did on my little bedroom TV.

jonnie u:

i was wondering why there were NO camera shots of Darryl Johnson on bass.

Isn't it Darryl Jones ?

Because he is not considered a legitimate Stone by John Q. Public. People have forgotten that Ronnie Wood is also a replacement. After Darryl has been in the band for 30 years he'll get some camera time.

Go Steelers.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Originally posted by Connie Z:

BUT I was very disappointed that the bass player was so neglected by the camera!

Disappointed, yes. Surprised, no. I think we just got spoiled last year when the bass player got most of the attention.

Many can say that the amount of time for setup is very little, but this happens to be one of the largest viewed concerts in the world. I'm sure that there have been rehearsals.

It was entertaining, nonetheless. The game is getting more exciting now.

ATM

Actually, I thought it was the best halftime show in years.

Real songs, full versions. Real performance (and I don't think that was lip synching.)

I hate those medleys and those special guests.

Yep, the sound wasn't popping, but given the circumstances, I thought it was pretty good.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

You just like the Stones ; )

seemed like the sound/monitors were kinda shabby for Aaron Neville too.

Yeah it was a cool, I agree no medelys and special guest ,

did Jagger say he could have played "Satisfaction" at the !st. Super Bowl ,....no sh' how old is dude-

That was a cheap Madden 06 play for a TD ,......but it worked -

The halftime show was excellent, IMHO. Rock 'n' Roll!

All I'll say about the National Anthem is that Dr. John and the choir did a fine job.

And Stevie Wonder would have been better off alone.

Who was playing bass with Wonder anyway? Looked like it could have been Jimmy Jam, but I never really saw the face.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Satisfaction came out in '65. The "boys" are all in their mid-sixties now and look it. That part doesn't bother me, I'll be there in few years too.

I remember seeing the Stones back in '65 and '66. Satisfaction hadn't come out the first time I saw them, but it was their big hit the second time.

They had a good lead guitarist then, a fellow named Brian Jones.

They certainly haven't had a good lead guitarist in many years.

I thought they were horrible and I was a big fan in my youth.

I was listening on a big sound system connected to my TV.

Both Keith and Ronnie were incredibly sloppy, and Ron's slide guitar solo was embarrassing. The endings of all the songs have been done more cleanly by a million pickup bands playing in bars.

The sound mixing was also extremely shoddy...Mick started singing before they turned on his mike and the same thing happened with Keith's first guitar solo.

I would guess that they couldn't really hear the monitors....Mick's were wireless earphones but he still sang out of tune.

He didn't sing "you make a dead man come" in Start Me Up....he left out the last word. They certainly aren't rebels any more, but they haven't been in decades...that's why they were chosen.

Yeah, they played live. So what. Has that become a rarity? A band that can play live?

There should have been an American band playing, it's our super bowl. I would have liked to see Grand Funk Railroad, a bunch of Michigan boys, singing "We're an American Band."

Or maybe someone who actually is a current relevant group. Who can play live.

There really was no excuse for the sound. The budget was unlimited, they could have pulled it off.

Rant mode off.

Agreed - although my youth and JCs were seperated by a few years. ;)

It was good to see Ron Wood though. I have been a fan of his since he and Sir Rod were Faces.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Missed most of the Stones, but I'll watch my video later this week.

Bottomgottem got it right - Stevie is a superhero, he doesn't need people to abuse his songs when he's on the same stage... and somehow I think hip-hop dance and Living For The City don't go together so well.

- Matt W.

don't sugar coat it jeremy, tell us how you realy feel.

yes, the stones were dissapointing. and yes, it would've been nice to have an american band. but the only rock band that comes close to being as recognizable across the generations and subcultural sets that would be watching the superbowl as the stones would be u2, and they're irish. that said they should've respected (ahem) where they were and got aretha to do halftime instead of simply half the anthem. but then again i guess there is some relevance with the whole satisfaction-is-as-old-as-the-superbowl thing.

as for the game itself, wasn;t really that great of a game. no big time performances. the defences weren't all that air tight. offenses pulling off a play here and a play there and then imploding in the red zone. just a sloppy play. when the mvp is the mvp because he's the only guy that did something special twice, it probably wasn't that good fo a game.

but i'm happy for the bus.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I like marching bands. Where was the $%^%^&()!!! marching band? Is this football or a $%^&* video arcade? The only thing that could have been worse would be having the Dead do a half-time show.

Then again, had the Dead done it, perhaps they would've brought an enormous tank of Koolaid. Now that I would watch!

The game was fun. Music nerd that I am, I watched it at the recording studio with my band and our engineer. God, I need a life. :P

The Stones were a safe choice for the halftime show. Earlier this week I was kind of surprised to hear about the controversy regarding the Stones playing the show and not any of the Motown acts. For some reason I can't see the whole of America appreciating the Funk Brothers backing up some of the classic Motown acts.

But certainly, there are plenty of other musical acts from Detroit that might have been considered. Just off the top of my head there's Kid Rock, Eminem and the White Stripes. But my personal Detroit favorite got the shaft. Yes, the MC5 should've played the Super Bowl! :D

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Now that's a thought! Let's see them get the DCI champions out there, or some elite college marching band.

The Stones have seen more arenas than a musty pair of Nikes. Let some college kids get the experience of a lifetime marching before 80,000 hot dog throwing football fans.

And microphones? Marching band don't need no stinkin' microphones!

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Father Gino:

I like marching bands. Where was the $%^%^&()!!! marching band? Is this football or a $%^&* video arcade?

I gotta agree with you.

Picture this: Stevie Wonder playing the halftime show with a bad-a** college marching band backing him up and pulling off the horn breaks in "Sir Duke".

ChrisOfDoom: I am very sorry for your loss, but your Seahawks put my Panthers to bed and my paycheck gets signed in Pittsburgh. Hooray, Steelers.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Satisfaction came out in '65. The "boys" are all in their mid-sixties now and look it. That part doesn't bother me, I'll be there in few years too.

I remember seeing the Stones back in '65 and '66. Satisfaction hadn't come out the first time I saw them, but it was their big hit the second time.

They had a good lead guitarist then, a fellow named Brian Jones.

They certainly haven't had a good lead guitarist in many years.

I was listening on a big sound system connected to my TV.

Both Keith and Ronnie were incredibly sloppy, and Ron's slide guitar solo was embarrassing. The endings of all the songs have been done more cleanly by a million pickup bands playing in bars.

The sound mixing was also extremely shoddy...Mick started singing before they turned on his mike and the same thing happened with Keith's first guitar solo.

I would guess that they couldn't really hear the monitors....Mick's were wireless earphones but he still sang out of tune.

He didn't sing "you make a dead man come" in Start Me Up....he left out the last word. They certainly aren't rebels any more, but they haven't been in decades...that's why they were chosen.

Yeah, they played live. So what. Has that become a rarity? A band that can play live?

There should have been an American band playing, it's our super bowl. I would have liked to see Grand Funk Railroad, a bunch of Michigan boys, singing "We're an American Band."

Or maybe someone who actually is a current relevant group. Who can play live.

There really was no excuse for the sound. The budget was unlimited, they could have pulled it off.

Rant mode off.

i couldn't watch the game, had a show to play..

but i would just like to say..

JEMERY COHEN FOR PRESIDENT!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Bill Hartzell, who contributes to the Guitar Forum, was somehow involved in the show, and has a few words to say about it here.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Tried to watch the game last night. The bit I saw didn't compel me to keep going, so I missed the Stones etc. The Stones have been an embarrassment for many years. They should do us all a favour and retire. NEVERTHELESS, they shouldn't be booked for such major gigs.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Originally posted by jeremy c:

He did sing the lyric... Blame ABC's '5-second delay' for that one... and also for their new song, the word 'cock' was muted.

Still in all, incredibly sloppy, yes, but i'll take sloppy and live any day over lip-synch.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

Originally posted by ATM:

To anybody else is watching, are you disappointed with the sound quality of the Half-Time Show?

ATM

No, I was disappointed at the quality of Mick Jagger. Some people can keep it rocking after 60, I'm deeply sorry to say that Mick isn't one of them. As he said during the set they could've played Super Bowl 1, it may be a little too late for Jagger. I don't really know which was worse, the loss of the edge in his voice, or the strange prancing he was doing all around the stage. Speaking of the stage, I personally thought it was pretty cool. It was a very clever idea to use the logo. I'd say the the man of the day was Bill Wyman, he works with the Rythm Kings the last I heard, and hasn't been a part of the aging hipsters' group since '91. Although, credit to Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards, they've still got it.

As for the sound, they were in the Ford Dome in the center of a football field, the sound was pretty much guaranteed to suck.

hmmm...

p.s. I have played live at a football stadium.

One season I was in the S.F. 49er's band and played at every game for the home games. It was a big band and we were all sight-reading the music. No one in the band seemed to be worried about it at all.

One game Michael Bolton's band played at halftime...with Randy Jackson on bass...they set up instantly and sounded great (no value judgments on Mr. Bolton included).

Originally posted by jonnie u:

i was wondering why there were NO camera shots of Darryl Johnson on bass.

Darryl JONES, didn't get sny shots at all. I was searching for his lakeland signature bass, or at least him and I couldn't find him. He's the only reason I watched the half time show because, I'm not a big stones fan. And to top it off Seahawks let me down.

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

I gotta go old school here, too. As a musician and football fan, I would rather see the Super Bowl played the way football was meant to be played - in an open-air stadium on grass (or whatever may be on the ground. Can you say Lambeau Field or Foxboro in February? Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?) The halftime entertainment would be some smokin' marching bands who, like the teams, had earned the right to be there. Gives me goosebumps.

And as a TSSAA Football official, yer dang skippy that when the ref (or line judge in this case) calls a touchdown, it's a touchdown and will still be a touchdown fifty years from now. Look it up then and it'll still be 6. :D

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Mr. Jones was present in the wide views of the band and occasionally when he was standing behind Mr. Jagger. But he was never shown closely enough to see what kind of bass he was playing. Mr. Chuck Leavell, the keyboard player was only shown briefly.

Whenever there is a promotional photo of the band, they show Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron.

The first three are original members. Ron Wood has been in the band since 1975.

Chuck Leavell has been playing keyboards with the Stones since 1982.

Darryl Jones has been with the band since 1991.

Neither Leavell or Jones are considered to be part of the band, they are just hired hands and they are almost never photographed with the others.

I know too much about this, I'm boring myself.

...agreeing with most of you.

The biggest problem with the Stones performance was sound related. They couldn't hear themselves, poor cut ins and outs, etc. The same goes for the pregame as well. The only reason the Stones were able to pull it off as well as they did was their experience playing 2 of the songs millions of times.

Yes, they were sloppy as hell (and Keith looked sicker than ever). Keep in mind; they have never been a great sounding band live (at least for the past few decades). If you listened to 1 of their concerts without being there, the experience would be quite different.

I don't think Darryl will ever be in the spotlight there. He's still the fill-in and there are still the public misconceptions about bass players. We know better.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Archived