Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any shame in using a capo?

DC Ross

The band I'm (hopefully) going to be playing with uses drop "D" tuning, almost all of their songs are in Dm, one is in Cm. I play a 5 string and found it easier to play with a capo on the first fret, since I'm constantly using the low C (5th string) and F (4th string). I considered dropping the E string down to D, but that messes with my runs (and nobody wants messy runs :freak: ).

I'm planning on doing whatever sounds and feels best, but any comments/suggestions?

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't use a capo.

I would consider tuning my entire bass down a step.

I would consider re-writing my bass parts so they worked well in standard tuning with my runs intact.

First fret capo messes up the G, D and A...which seem important notes.

If I were in this one band exclusively, tuning my bass down would be an option, although it kinda worries me.

Since I play in all kinds of music, I need to be able to play the same bass and tuning on everything.

Idiom is important...bass lines evolved because of the way the bass is tuned. Other tunings offer many off-idiom possibilites (that's what made Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young really neat to listen to.)

Glen Moore, bassist with Oregon, tunes his bass (high to low) C-D-A-C. Many interesting lines come out of this unusual tuning.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

If you want to use a capo, use one. Just make sure it has the strength to stop the strings well.

As an exploration I've used a capo over some of the strings on a Six, varying which strings on which side of the neck. Another way to get some Manring Hyperbass ideas under the fingers, a cool compositional tool.

Go for the capo option, but realize that someone playing in drop D tuning (D-A-D-G-B-E, ex) is very likely to come up with a riff that's nigh-unplayable in standard tuning, either A-D-G-C-F or capo'd at the 3rd fret to D-G-C-F-Bb or something.

I covered "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears, and the bassist has tuned down to a D, but I just played the whole thing in standard tuning because it wasn't riff oriented. However, covering Tool's 46 and Two, I would tune my backup 4-string to D-A-D-A or very occasionally tune my 5-stringer to B-D-A-D-G and just compensate for the top string being in the "wrong" place. For our original song in drop-D, however, I had to tune like the guitarist did because the riffs were fast enough and designed in drop-D and just didn't translate to 4ths tuning.

I'd say to try tuning the whole thing down first, or even look at stringing it (no capo) D-G-C-F-Bb. Get an E-A-D-G-C set and tune down, maybe?

Excellent ideas, guys. I'm more comfortable in standard tuning for most of the songs. Maybe a Hipshot on the 4th (down to D) and 5th (down to A) strings is a good, albeit expensive, option?

I'm finding that the capo is only beneficial for a couple of songs, so maybe I can swallow my pride and cheat for 10 or so minutes ;)

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

As others have already stated: if you need to, use a capo. No shame in that.

That said, I have a question:

Why do you need to capo the B and E strings at the first fret because you're playing in D minor a lot (and the C minor you mentioned)?? Do you just like to use open strings? I've played a lot of stuff where the guitarists were in drop D or drop Db - whole guitar down a half step, then the Eb down to Db. All those songs I played on my 5 string in standard tuning. Some were a little difficult but all were manageable.

The open low E is useful in D minor as a scale tone and I would think you'd want that note available to you. If anything maybe tune your low B to a C if you want to use that open string a lot.

No shame in using what works for you.

But it's a good idea to stay away from spring force capos. A Shubb cam-type would probably work best...

http://www.janetdavismusic.com/images/capo1.gif

As a side note...

My last band played everything dropped a semi-tone. I loved it, because all the blues and funk basslines I played were almost entirely composed of fretted notes. I find I can play punchier and tighter this way, because it involves less left-hand muting of open strings.

It also taught me to rely more on thinking about the intervals, than what notes I was playing.

We played tons of stuff in Ab, Eb, F#, C#, and Bb.

My preference would be to not use the capo, and find lines which work well with the bass in standard tuning. I would fear that the capo could become a bit of a crutch.

There is no shame in using a capo. Watch the Mettalica dvd some kinda monster and go to the extras. Look at the song "My world, bassline" But that was before they had Robert and I don't think he uses one. So NO SHAME IN USING A CAPO.

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

This used to be a guitar capo. I took one cam off and placed nylon and steel washers to get better line-up on my Five's strings. In this pic the capo is at the second fretline and the low B string is bypassed by flipping up the cam.

http://lowdownlowdown.com/greenboy/MusicImage/Capo.jpg

Dave Brown's idea is where it's at. i personally am not a fan of capos though, i've used them and didn't like it. however, i wouldn't say there's any shame in using one. it would definitely (in my opinion) be better to just tune it down a step and have and extra guitar tuned to Cm handy so you don't have to worry about tuning between songs. and just remember, pride caused the franco-prussian war. (look up otto von bismarck and you'll know what i mean.)

best of luck to you and your future band...

hmmm...

Actually my posts up 'til now only address the SHAME issue ; } - If I was in a band that needed some lower note than what I've got, I'd definitaly tune all the strings down (still in fourths though) so that the low note was available. Or I'd get a Sperzel D-Thing on the lowest string.

Which I myself am going to do anyway. I really like having the low A on my Five and the different possibilities that opens up for some material.

Do your own thing. On the other hand I have only ever seen a guy in a band using a capo and my first thought was "I guess he only knows the first position notes." My advice, if it isn't already true, learn the fingerboard completely then you can play anything without worry.

Guy

I let listening and not seeing determine for me whether they are making music well. But seeing comes in handy of there's some conceptual advancement they are plying and I'm trying to figure out how they are actually doing what I hear ; }

Archived