Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Very Touching! (more on the lovely Kashmiri family)

Okay, partially due to a request from Soapbox and others......I emailed or told my friends about the apparently imminent microdiscectomy that I will probably need for my lower back in the near future. Naturally, I emailed the wonderful Kashmiri family that I stayed with a few years ago. They are like my family to me, so we always communicate what is going on in our lives. I sometimes send them a little extra money to help them out because of the economic hardships they've had to endure as a direct result of the Indo-Pakistani conflict/tension. Despite thier economic hardships, they responded with this incredible gesture, something that I am so deeply touched and moved by (this is the first part of a long email): "Dearest Brother Ken, Hello,I read everything and at least we came to know what problims you have.We all feel so sorry for this and wish all goes well with your treatment and you get well soon.I think you should get it done sooner before it gets worst,I think you can choose the best,I mean good doctor you know well in America.I dont now,but if it is problim with money,please dont worry,I think we can help you a little bit,I tell you brother we dont have money you know we suffer a lot withit,I meannot having it,But we have a special family carpet which is with us for so long time my grandfather has made it long a go it is about 100 years old it is only our family oldest thing and a very special for ourfamily we never wanted to sell it,but brother you are also a special member of our family and we all will not at all mind it to sell it,we will fell so good if we could help you.I thing it will take some time to sell it and if I work hard to sell it I think I cand get about Rs50,000/=toRs60,000/=say about 1000dollers,I dont know how much it can help you and dont know how this treatment will cost you.Please let me know soon because it will take some time to sell it." I responded immediately with PLEASE DO NOT SELL THE CARPET!! :) and told them that I was deeply touched by their care and words, but that I had insurance, which would cover most of the expenses. That is just the nicest thing, though -- so thoughtful. Anyway, I thought I'd share. I am also really touched by the people on this forum alone -- and also my other friends -- who inquire about my Kashmiri family.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow...it's amazing how some people who have not a lot to give are willing to sacrifice, when others who have far more in terms of worldly goods hold greedily on to every ounce. Makes you wonder who is truly "richer"... Hope the best for your Kashmiri family...and take care of your back...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Wow...it's amazing how some people who have not a lot to give are willing to sacrifice, when others who have far more in terms of worldly goods hold greedily on to every ounce. Makes you wonder who is truly "richer"... Hope the best for your Kashmiri family...and take care of your back...[/b][/quote]Wisely spoken. And thank you!!!!!!! They are a truly beautiful bunch of people, inside and out. They invited me to a wedding. The oldest brother's daughter is getting married in September, and I am soooo bummed that I cannot make it there. Rather fortunate that they are able to email. There is a cyber cafe in Srinagar, and one of their friends owns a computer. We wrote for a while, but then, for some reason, although their letters would get to me, my letters would stopped being received by them. I eventually called -- I don't know what you calle them, but basically, I called a public phone service near where ethey live and left a message with my email address. All is good now.

Ken, this just goes to show how deeply you've touched those friends of yours. God love 'em, they have to be special people, as well as friends. I've read each of your posts about your friends and their trials. I've been touched. I do care about what goes on over in the "other world". Those who keep working for the better have my utmost respect. Those who don't, don't. Keep the faith my friend & understand that [b]you[/b] have to be a special person to garner such loyalty & love. Take care of the back. Do [b]LOTS[/b] of easy stretching and light weight work. Do what ever you can to avoid surgery. I've personally never met a person who had surgery and was pain free after. I do know one person who was debilitated and is now functional but that's the extreme and rare case. My back is torched too, from too many years of bending over hoods, lifting things I shouldn't have & all the other things associated with back problems. I still have the sciatica problems but they are lessened by easy stretching. Talk to the Ikestr. He's got a process going now that's got him in a lot better condition than the last time I saw him. Peac brah. It was great meeting you. Thanks again for the good food place.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived