Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Critique me/my band if you would like.

wurmhole78

I would greatly appreciate some criticism of a taste of our music from anyone who is interested in commenting. Everyone's opinions are important regardless of your experience so share em if you have em.

Note that these are live recordings complete with the expected blemishes.

Our Myspace

Never follow children, animals or Hare Krishnas!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bass playing is great, lovely big fat tone and you guys are great players but it kinda sounds more like a big reggae jazz free styling with loads of improvisation. I think I'd prefer to hear studio "fixed" versions first.

That said, for live recording to my ears it sounds very rich. What did you use to record? Is that the desk mix or was it multi tracked a mixed and mastered?

Good luck with the groove.

Your band sounds great, and man your bass I like the tone you got. I would have like to have been there to hear ya'll in person. :thu:
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

Thanks for the kind words.

We multitracked that show and the 1st and 3rd tracks are the result of a couple of hours of tweeking while the second is from a rough mix just dumped from the desk during the show.

The experience of mixing down the multitrack with a professional engineer friend of mine really opened my eyes to the value of some quality processing when presenting a recording.

Thanks again for the comments, I'm just looking for some voices other than my own opinions.

You and your drummer get a nice loping Nawlins thang happening on Boogie Jam, and I actually like the way the tempo creeps up; a little rougher when it drops back though. I like the aug5 thing the guitarist does at first but wish he developed the idea later on. Could use maybe some kind of an ensemble section, or contrasting solo bed or something additional.

Conversely, the reggae piece doesn't have the drums/bass tightness I'm accustomed to hearing. You two are mostly locked, but the same tendencies that make the Boogie Jam tune sound loosey-goosie kind of make this one not have the impact it could. I'm kind of spoiled because I've got to hang around with a couple of killer reggae drummers and bassists. They let the skankin' and prankin' up above make the lope happen while they lock in to a shared conception of beat subdivision that gets hypnotic.

I'm also thinking the midrangey J tone isn't as happenin' for this as a good neck-p'up sound would be ... Some nice ideas there, just got to latch it down a bit more.

Thanks GB

I agree about the neck/bridge PU balance. When this was recorded I was pretty new to having two PUs. For that matter I still am and coupling right hand postion with PU blend is definitely an area I'm both working on and seeing some results.

The "boogie jam" is really just a chunk out of the middle of a cover of Boogie On Reggae Woman that I snipped out and posted a while back just to have something on that site.

I also feel that these selections really show me doing too much wanking and not enough support.

Ah, I don't think you generally were playing too many notes. Just an issue of placement. And actually it's the drums there that have more (but not all) issues on the DJ reggae tune - nice note choices and variations thereof, BTW.

Now that I think about it, I probably had a lot of cut dialed in/coming from my fingers during the show in order to get a nice sound in FOH. The space we were playing in was boom city and we had a split snake running into an adjacent building with the recordist stationed there.

Is eq enough to massage the tone from the burpy J sound to the smoother P sound or are the differences deeper than that?

Archived