Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sarah McLachlan's bassist

DC Ross

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possession was Brain Minato, I dunno about the other. But Brian Minato and Pierre Marchand seem to be the two on most of her albums.

...google is still around, I hear...

AMG? Don't take AMG as gospel. Some of the credits info is just shoveled in there and a lot of mistakes are made; the reviewers may be dedicated but they have their fixations ; } - a popular one being that the ones that sold the best are usually the best. The best thing is that it supplies a reference point to discographies.

I've always wondered what contribution Brian M and Pierre M were making. The live album (Mirrorball) is obviously Brian, but who wrote the parts? Possession is a very cool bit of work. I like Sweet Surrender, but can't stop myself from changing the part a bit. There are times when he is playing a pattern using quarter notes, and times he doesn't - I find I keep repeating the quarter pattern continuously - it just feels more "driving" that way.

While most of the bass parts on the Afterglow album (Tony Levin) are pretty good, I don't see that it's such a big improvement from the other guys. Of course that's just what I hear without knowing any of the reasoning why Levin was brought in. That said, Fallen gets to me. When I'm done practicing music for my band, I put that on about half the time and play along. What a great part (to the point that I almost don't hear the "song").

While some of Sarah's music doesn't call for anything outstanding on bass, there are plenty of great parts. I really enjoy her work.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Not to be a grump or anything, but a question was asked. Answers were given.

I didn't notice anything else to discuss.

Allmusic.com was given as a source. It's a good one and I use it all the time but it's not always accurate. As a matter of fact, they credited the bass playing on a cd that I played on to a violinist who has the same name as me and despite my writing them they never changed it.

Archived