Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do society's ills inspire creativity or restrain it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'd have to say a little of both. I'm writing as much as usual but not about stuff I want to write about...I don't want to sing about sad stuff but I can't help it lately. Somewhat off topic but kinda relavent...loss of loved ones completely kills my creative energy...I never would have thought that before but I've lost so many friends/relatives in the last few years and with everyone I've become less inspired. :confused: I suppose if I put more thought into this I might be able to offer more insight...but those are my quick thoughts on it for today.

It's been a polar year for me. On the down side is everything that's been happening in the world. On the upside this last year I've been involved with both the most wonderful lady and wonderful band of my life. I don't think it's really changed my creativity (perhaps they've cancelled each other out?) but I do know I've been learning, discussing, and paying attention to events a lot more than I ever did before (this forum has helped a lot in that regard too!)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

The events from the last year have made me write like a madman. Also expecting a child during this time has given me a new list of priorities. Music still heads the list but now I write to share my own stories and advice. Before I wrote about miniscule things like myself. Theres a whole world of hurt and beauty out there and I`m trying to get that idea into my lyrics. I definitely write more. It never meant more than it does know. Peace, Ernest Now if we could only rid the world of Brittany Spears...

I think it's more personal. A lot of very gifted artists have had their share of demons. I'm a bit more focused on what I want to accomplish vs. the way I was a year ago, but not by a large margin. I'm actually more eager to get out of the studio and take some nice trips and vacations, see some more of the world before I have to leave it instead of sweating over a hot mixing board. Maybe I'll just hire an engineer from now on and have more time for fun and goofing off.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I have been so busy doing other peoples stuff I simply haven't had time to think about doing any of my own material.Besides, I've never been too affected by things going on in the world to all of a sudden want to write a song about it. Doesn't mean I don't think about it.Its just that for some reason that feels kind of forced to me.Actually I'd rather write about something that happened or affected me from 10 years ago.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

Archived