Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So ... I'm "between bands" again ... but not for long ?? (update below)

EddiePlaysBass

Well, it's been done. I quit Absence. Or Gateway To Walhalla, last I heard :freak:

The prospect of playing original progmetal with the occasional progmetal cover tune thrown in just didn't appeal to me at all ...

What now? Idunno ... Learn a load of Iron Maiden, as that seems to be the trend around here. And start learning soul & funk songs, since that is where I want to go.

Sad thing is, everyone here plays rock, metal or both ... Hence the Maiden stuff I'll be learning.

As much as I wanna go and play soulful music, I may as well try and get something together in the meantime, to get some on-stage experience.

Yep, another one bites the dust ... 5 bands in 3.5 years, not bad I guess :freak: Maybe my girlfriend is right, and I'm just not cut out to do the band thing ?

PS: sorry for the umpteenth "I quit my band" rant. I realise a lot of them have been coming from me lately :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry 'bout that Ed. Or not - depending on how you see it.

There has got to be some band locked in a garage somewhere in Belgium secretly doing R&B tunes in desperate need of a good bassist!

The prospect of playing original progmetal with the occasional progmetal cover tune thrown in just didn't appeal to me at all ...
Define progmetal. You talking about Rush type stuff? Heavier?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

And, my 1000th post. *starts tearing* Finally, I am somebody! Thank you Ed. *sniff* Thank you EVERYONE! *runs off sobbing into hands*

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Hey, why's that guy crying ^?

Anyway, between bands is not a bad place to be. You are free to do what you want. The world is your oyster. Closing a door behind you means that one is opening in front of you. (beginning to retch!!) ;)

Work on the Iron Maiden. Work on some Isaac Hayes and Marvin Gaye. Start your own genre: SOUL METAL. James Jamerson and Steve Harris had a child and they named him EddiePlaysBass. The possibilities are endless. In twenty years we all may be calling you the "Godfather of Soul Metal". Put a pimp hat and some platform shoes on the Eddie in your avatar and there you go. Instant mascot. I'll tell my kids I was there when it happened. I'm being kinda silly. I'll go away now.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Maybe my girlfriend is right, and I'm just not cut out to do the band thing ?

Ha-ha! I know why she would want you to quit running off the house-limits ;-)

Eddie, the ending of one thing is the beginning of another one, like Bottomgottom said in a more romantic way.

Be a Viking now, and tighten the sail when the wind is throwing you around a little. Let it take you where ever, but stick aboard.

What ever...

Persistence is the key Ed, in the early stages of my playing I joint and left so many bands it was unreal. The great thing about being a bass player is that you will always be in demand and therefore have more options. Bands are often highly dysfunctional as art tends to attract the crazy people therefore it can take a while to meet your kind of crazy people.

Don't give up! Keep at it!

Bands come and go Eddie, it's just the nature of the beast. It takes time to get hooked up with the right people. Oftentimes it's personalities, or musical differences, or personal issues that make a band fall apart. You can't let this turn of events discourage you. If you think you've got something to say musically, then you owe it to yourself to keep looking for people to work with.

I've been in a number of bands since I started playing. Now I'm in one that I'm happy with. Can that change? Sure. Situations change. People change. What's consistent is that you still want to make music, right? Then you have to keep moving forward.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

We're in the same situation Eddie. After the Festive Season, dust ourselves down & start again.

Matt - you've joined the Silverbacks now. Your beard will turn Platinum overnight, like mine.

:D

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

It does feel at times like every non-pro musician is a rock guitarist. But there are others out there, they're just not moving in the usual circles for that exact reason.

Try some lateral thinking with regard to finding musicians - check out universities, colleges, music courses, open mic nights, etc. Also try contacting music teachers and seeing if they have any pupils looking for a gig.

Good luck!

Alex

Eighty percent of putting a band together is getting the hang right -- finding guys who share common interests, complementary personalities, talent, and unity of vision for what the band should be.

It's not you -- it's the thing.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Hey Eddie -

Seems to me, the time may be right for you to take measures for yourself, at least see if you can find the right people. You'd like to play R&B/Soul???

Hook up with a solid drummer. Find a couple/three horn players and singers. Fill it out with a keyboardist and gu***rist...

Voila - you have the Belgium equivalent to "The Commitments". Surely there's a market there for Soul/R&B, maybe just not in your close circle of friends/musicians.

Doesn't take much to see if there's any interest there, outside of your own.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

*LOL* Yeah well I know two really tight drummers ... Might hook up with one of them eventually.

Right now I mailed a "nu-metal" band ... Didn't even know that type of bands was still around. They heard the Absence mp3's and weren't impressed, from what I gathered from their mail :D

But I like an underdog position :cool:

Well, I just sent out mails for three prospective auditions:

- a nu-metal band ... Entirely not sure if I wanna do it, but it's an audition

- a band that plays pop, rock & country. Something different, which appeals to me

- some artist who needs musicians for a summer tour :D

The latter appeals to me the most, although I have no clue what I'm getting myself into. I don't know this artist nor any details of the tour.

But I figured I have nothing to lose, least I can do is show up for an audition and do my best. Who knows what happens next, right?

Archived