Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

V-Bass Forum at TheDrillGun

g.

I'm going to moderate and maybe admin yet another bass-oriented forum (did an ERB one for awhile) - this time it's V-Bass specific. Very little activity lately though it averages 2000 hits daily.

I'm not going to pull teeth to get things happening but it would be good to see V-Bassers here and elsewhere, as well as those interested in the V-Bass, to all get together and share info and whatnot; the moribund yahoo group is certainly not the place to do it. I figure the biggest part of my admin is to make a logo or shrink a graphic for the top left corner, and maybe condense the number of category headings ; }

Anyway, here's the URL - feel free to splash it all over other bass forums: http://www.vbass.thedrillgun.com/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will ban any and all!!! I will not tolerate discussion and files and images!!! Then we can all learn to use our V-Basses and not be weak puny girly-men!!! Fie upon those who would ask questions - let them suffer. No V-Bass for you, get out of the line!!!

Quite awhile ago a few LDLd'ers asked me for pics of my then-current changes on my Ibanez SR506 Six epoxy 'board fretless conversion. I figured this thread was as good as any to place the shot. It isn't a great pictures (didn't even wipe down the bass or set up decent lighting which seems to be a must for epoxy - it reflects so much that a lamp a few feet away is mirrored there to the right).

I cut on the bottom of the GK hexaphonic pickup so the lead would exit out the bottom instead of the side facing the bridge. I routed out the control cavity area that used to have the battery for the active preamp and then put a Carvin battery holder in another route nearby. That gave me room to move knobs up into that area closer to the neck to make room on the face for the GK-3B control unit, which is bolted through one of the old knob holes and also screwed via the standard screw hole.

Then I drilled a hole under the bridge to send the lead from the hexaphonic pickup into the control cavity, and it comes up through the other old knob hole and into the control unit. So this time around, no cable/lead running between the barrels and the bridge. The control unit doesn't actually hang over the edge; that's just perspective from the angle I took the shot at. It sits on bass stands just fine with no contact. I cut down the lead that goes between the control unit and the bass's 1/4" output to around 3".

So here you go, gents:

http://phinixi.com/~greenboy-/MusicImage/GK-3B.jpg

What the hey - here's what I did to make the GK-2B more gig-worthy on my Carvin LB75 fretless: the cable lead excess between the pickup and the control box is all stuffed up into the control unit (took cover off and figured a way to do this), and the rest of that lead goes under the barrels of the bridge so no snagging is possible.

I ground a corner off the bridge to make it possible to set the GK control unit right against the bridge and not overlapping over the edge of the bass. The control unit is attached with the standard screw Roland sockets as well as a tiny bolt that goes through from the bass's control cavity to one of the bolt holes on the back of the GK. That makes it secure and it doesn't wiggle around.

I also cut all but 3" off the lead that goes from the bass's 1/4" output and soldered a right-angle connector there, so there's just enough cable to make the bend between the bass output and the control unit's mini-jack.

Very easy to reach the knob and switches while playing, and about as bulletproof as can be expected : }

http://phinixi.com/~greenboy-/MusicImage/GK-2B.jpg

Archived