Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would you go to an audition ...

EddiePlaysBass

A lot of my leads from actual working bands come from word of mouth and having played with some of the people before, getting phone calls. But simultaneously these bands seem to be posting on music store bulletin boards ... But I never see them, because the local music stores don't have anything I want ; }

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At my level of play I get better results by starting a band since most of the bass players around here are better than me. The only band I ever auditioned for was when their prima donna singer called me and asked me to come to a practice. Mostly because he'd fired every other bass player in the area at some point. The gig sucked but I did hook up with our current piano player, so it was worth it.

www.ethertonswitch.com

The "word of mouth" thing doesn't really work over here, at least it hasn't in the 3.5 years that I've been at it ... May say more about me, come to think of it :D

No, seriously, "open jam nights" and "word of mouth". All cool and y'all are always talking about it, but remember I'm on the other side of the world. And a different world it is :D

Anyway, the band mailed back saying "oh but we'll play heavier songs as well, lot's of metal and hard rock". Which, ironically, is what I wanna steer away from :D

I'm also seriously contemplating quitting Absence, the one band I'm still "really" in, because pre-gig all was good and swell, but post-gig things ain't going that well ...

As for the band with my dad, that is planned for 2006. End of January or so. I already have a drummer, which is a bloody luxury if you ask me. He plays in my non-active band, the Hamse Bier Crew.

But my dad also saw an ad ( :rolleyes: ) for a band who allegedly play a different type of music, which should be interesting. Not to say I'm that good, but I could use a challenge ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

And a different world it is.

Yeah, yeah, all mussels, ales, and feather bowling over there. :D

I'm also seriously contemplating quitting Absence
So ... you'll be absent from absence? :D (Sorry, just in one of those moods today. It'll pass.)

You and our friend from Aalsborg need to find better markets in bigger cities. I wonder if Jeremy minds long-term house guests? ;)

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

But my dad also saw an ad ( :rolleyes: ) for a band who allegedly play a different type of music, which should be interesting. Not to say I'm that good, but I could use a challenge ...

I think you have exactly the right idea, E.

I've played in bands before for no other reason than I had never previously had an opportunity to explore the particular genre(s) they played. At this point, I've played everything from big band jazz to funk to country-rock. I think it's made me a much better musician and it's certainly turned me on to music that I wouldn't have otherwise discovered.

Keep your mind open and you'll keep learning. :thu:

Originally posted by way2fat:

Someone here once mentioned seeing a Jimi Hendrix cover band looking for a singer/guitar player. Now, that's funny.

:thu::thu::thu:

Haha but seriously folks...Eddie I voted YES I would audition for a band even if I found the music boring.

Lots of great word on this so far from different perspectives. I would only go to such a boring audition if I hadn't decided I wanted the spot yet, should it most expectedly be offered. I will play to anything I can(if I can't I'll fake it), any type of music at all, if the songs are good. By good, I mean good musicianship, feel, a good beat, communication, and a good time being had.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

When I first stared playing in NYC I knew like 5 people. I used to go on auditions almost every week, almost always these auditions were in the public music notice section of the village voice. I would go even if I didn't like the music. I saw it as a challenge and it certainly got me playing a lot of styles, made me aware of my personality and people skills and got me into different music circles.

You never knew what you were walking into (read a chart down, learn original music by ear, follow really bad directions etc. etc.) and I found that I did very well at cattle calls when you had something like 95 bass players auditioning for a slot. In those situations I almost always made it to the final 5, but wouldn't get the gig ultimately. Still it was valuable experience and I recommend it to anyone starting out because it can make you a more versatile and more rounded player as well as open your eyes to what is out there. I realize it's different in a small town but it's still good for you.

Archived