Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey in Finland?

getz out

I heard a vicious rumor that a very nice Peavey Cirrus 6-string fretless was exported to Finland.

Look at this thing! Beautiful.

http://www.mauryspadoto.com/photoalbum/pernaxCirrus/2_bodyfrontclose.jpg

http://www.mauryspadoto.com/photoalbum/pernaxCirrus/4_bodybackclose.jpg

Anyone have any info on this? ;)

PS - Whomever took that photo is quite talented as well. Not easy to get a good shot of a bass.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, you wont believe this, but I have that same exact bass! I mean all the same woods, the same grain patterns, the whole nine yards. What are the odds of that!?!

Seriously speaking, I've been on the lookout for a higher end 6-string to bump my Ibanez BTB-406 to a backup bass (or just to get me something nice). But since I've been digging the BTB quite a lot lately (one reason being that I pimped it out with the Roland GK-2B divided pickup for V-Bassin'), and there's nothing at all wrong with it, I stumbled onto this fretless beauty on Talkbass' classifieds. After a quick discussion, begging and bribery :P , we agreed that Maury would check the bass before it was shipped across the Atlantic. Easier to resolve any issues when you're on the same continent, no? Luckily there were no issues, and the bass checked out ok. Even Tom "T.Cool" Capasso gave it a go and 2 thumbs up, and that's all the approval anyone could ever ask for.

Those two rascals also threw in a really nice string winder/cutter (I "ordered" some strings too) and a CD full of "authentic classic rock", which I'm importing to iTunes as we speak. A pack of earplugs was also supplied, my guess is that they're intended for anyone having to listen to my surgically perfect intonation...

So I received the bass today, and I've been giving it a quick test run. I couldn't be more happier. It's really easy to play (or maybe I'm just that good :P ), and the sound is lovely (even through my 40W Roland cube). The controls seem to be really effective, and offer a range of usable tones. I'll get to play the bass through my big rig this weekend, and I might even install a GK-3B that has been waiting for it to get some fretless V-Bass action going. X-mas was indeed quite early this year ;) . Thanks to all those who took part in this operation, and may the Schwartz be with you!

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Roland V-Bass - It's not only a sound processor. It's not even a way of life, or a state of mind. It's a religious cult! Once you get hooked it'll grab you for life! :P

A few reasons for importing a bass from the States:

1) Availability. There's a lot more to choose from. I've never seen a Cirrus here in Finland, and I'm not probably too far off when I say that this might be the only fretless Cirrus sixer here.

2) Price. It was a good deal in the States, and after shipping and taxes, it still is a decent deal. If I'd been a year early, the stronger euro would have helped to eliminate the taxes from the equation. Still, I'm really pleased of the deal I got.

I'll also mention that ClarkW's work was one inspiration for going with the Cirrus. I really like what he's done with one (or two, actually).

-P

Ah, man, it's a sweet deal. Talking to Getz, I guess you got pau ferro; should work out fine with any strings except maybe roundwound steels. Actually Smith Compressors or GHS Pressurewounds -028-040-054-076-096-125 really shine for fretless and V-Bass anyway; best of all worlds for sustain and evenness and flexible tonalities.

Wondering if the GK-3B mounting system fits well over that bridge; if so, that'd be sweet.

I think I'll have to try a lot of different (types of) strings, just for the fun of it :) . I'll be sure to let you know how the bits and pieces fit on the bass, when I get to the GK installing part. The space between the bridge and the pickup seems a bit tight too, but I'm sure it'll be ok.

Originally posted by Swed_bass:

That is a beauty, Pernax! Congrats! Helpful fellas on this forum...

Thanks, Swed_b.

For those who are wondering about the woods on the bass, here goes:

Top: Claro Walnut

Body: Walnut

Neck: Walnut & Maple

Fretboard: Pau Ferro

Pernax,

Beautiful Cirrus!!! I have to say that you will love everything about this bass. Ive had my 5 string redwood top one for about 5 years and to this day I still love it.

Note: a little eq goes a long way & it is dead quitet...no hum or buzz.

Take care

ikestr

...hertz down low....

Sorry I've been otherwise engaged for a while.

It was my pleasure to roadtest your instrument (though Getz refused to let me do the "six foot concrete drop" test I wanted to do). It is a thing of beauty !!

Maury and I discussed this at lenght over sandwiches after the test. We think that everyone on the board should ship their instruments to us first. Just call us "Mr. Q and Mr. A".

Enjoy!

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived