Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neck width between Fender Precision and MusicMann

Imagine

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Musicman Stingray 5 is 1.75" at the nut.

The Fender Precision 5 is 1.875" at the nut.

This information was all available on their websites.

Musicman and Fender were both begun by Leo Fender, but they are completely separate companies.

Fender and Ernie Ball are indeed two different companies.

I'm not familiar with the neck width on the Precision 5 but I know that the Stingray 5 is comfortable.

I've got three different basses that have different widths at the nut and they don't throw me off at all.

If you want to be sure what you're getting into, find some time to go to a local music store and check them both out to find if they feel okay to you.

Actually,Leo Fender never owned the MusicMan company but he was hired to design the instruments.

Leo Fender started the Fender company which was later sold to CBS and then later sold to the employees of the company.

The MusicMan company went under and it was bought by Ernie Ball.

Fender later started the G&L company.

Just thought you might like to know.

Yeah, I pretty much ignore the advice of salespeople at most stores unless they're well-established and respected vendors (ie: Not Guitar Center). I have some knowledgable friends who used to work at Guitar Center. They work at Rudy's now. :D

I don't have either bass, but I've played both in stores. They're both nice instruments and they couldn't really go wrong.

I checked out your website, the G&L L-2500 you have listed can approximate sounds of a P-Bass or a Stingray...so you may already have the ability to get those sounds within reach at no further expense!

The neck shape and width on the MM SR5 is almost exactly (or might actually be exactly) like the L-2500...same width at the nut and same width at the bridge. I'm not sure I totally agree with BenLoy though...I certainly agree that you can get a very convincing P-Bass sound out of the G&L, but I couldn't find a truly convincing Stingray sound in the one that I played (although you could get pretty darned close). However, that could very well be just because I didn't spend enough time with it, or because the G&L that I played had a rosewood fretboard and I'm used to hearing the maple fretboard on my SR5. The MM's have a very characteristic metallic "gank" that is pretty much unique to that bass. It's subtle, but it's distinctly there.

HTH,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Fender later started the G&L company.

Just to clarify, Leo Fender (not Fender Guitars) started G&L.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived