Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best PA speakers under $250?

I currently have 10" cabs that aren't loud enough. I want to get bigger speakers. Do you recommend 12" or 15"? Which model for under $250? Price is an issue but so is quality. I was considering the: Nady THS1512 ($149) or THS1515 ($179) Yamaha S12E (189) or S15E ($229) Behringer 1220 ($199) or 1520 ($249) Or should I spring the extra money to get a Yamaha Club S112 IVS for $279 or JBL SF15 for $279.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stay away from Nady, & possibly behringer too. Try to get the 15s - you'll be happier in the long run. 12s are fine, but you'll get little bass from them. If possible, you should look into biamp-capable boxes - later, you can add a crossover & a second amp & you'll get much better performance (passive crossovers in regular 2-way PA cabs waste a lot of power). I would check out Yorkville stuff - they have good boxes for little $$. The JBLs would be good, too - I had some of the 2x15 budget boxes, and they were real nice for the $$.

I have a pair of [url=http://www.avatarspeakers.com/PA15.htm]These Avatar[/url] loudspeakers. They are great, with Eminence bass speaker & a comptession horn tweeter, not a piezo. $458.00 for the pair, including shipping. I also have the Carvin 822's for smaller venues but the Avatar loudspeakers are awesome in every instance I've used them.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I suggest the Yamaha's, and also check out Peavey and Carvin equipment. I agree you should go with 15's if at all possible. You might also start watching the local classified ads for a good deal.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

You have a few choices: EV Force Soundtech B52 Cerwin Vega Cheaper JBL Yamaha I have 4-15" Soundtechs, which I love and are very loud (about $300 each), but I heard the B52 line at the Atlantic City DJ convention and they are even better, but no one carries them (only a few bigger dealers). One speaker worth mentioning is the Wright Sound 15" cabinet, which runs $350-$375 each but sounds as good (to me) as an EAW costing twice as much. Super clear midrange and very tight bass, a winner if you want to spend the $.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

I've always felt speakers are the most important link in your PA chain. Skimp elsewhere. Squeeze every dollar you can into your speaker budget. Get good ones and you'll have them for years. I've never heard EV (Electra Voice) speakers that didn't sound really good, especially for vocals. There are certainly other good brands, but you can't go wrong with EV. As for 12" or 15" what do you anticipate (now and down the road) putting thru the PA? Will there be low end? Bass guitar, kick drum, drum machine (sequenced tracks), CD player, etc. Or is it just vocals and acoustic guitar? What will be your power? i.e., what kind of amp do you have (or will get) to run the speakers? There needs to be a reasonable match between the two. And, bear in mind, upgrading speakers alone will not make you louder, per se. One thing to consider: used speakers. I bought a pair of 15" EV cabinets (with driver and horn) used, over 15 years ago, for a fair amount of money, but a lot cheaper than they would have been new. In other words, I was able to buy a pair of speakers that otherwise would have been beyond my budget. I still use them today.

Archived