Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Powered mixer output to power amp??

My bandmate has a carvin PA system (620-805). 200w Powered Mixer and 2x10" speakers. I don't think it is loud enough for our band (funk rock: 2 guitars, bass, drums). I'm thinking of buying my own components to start my own PA system but maybe in the process we could make his louder. Should I buy a power amp or more/larger speakers first? There are only 2 speaker outputs so I don't know if there's a way to connect more than 2 to get more volume. Also, I'm not sure bigger/louder speakers would make more volume. The PA620 powered mixer says it has a "Main output to feed external amps". How does that work? If I got a QSC RMX1450 power amp that is 450w @ 4 ohms and connected it to the Carvin PA would it be safe/blow? Would that cancel out the Carvin's power or add to it? Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.carvin.com/manuals/PA410.pdf That appears to be the manual for your amp. According to the block diagram on page 2, the *Tape Out* and *Main Out* is driven at the same place... after the adjustable gain. this means that if you attached another amplifier to the *Main Line Out*, you would be adjusting the volume of the added amp as you were adjusting the volume of the internal amp. Sometimes, more speakes are more of a headache. Getting newer mixer with more power and using speaker that can handle the extra power means less speakers and less things to set up and break down. Just some things to think about...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Use the monitor out to feed the power amp. You'll need additional loudspeakers for the power amp. The existing 10" loudspeakers are too small too & really need to be upgraded. If you were running a solo or even a duo in very small places the 802's would be ok. You really should have a pair of 822's or 832's (or comparable) for that & for the power amp 832's, 1584's or the new 1283's. (or comparable loudspeakers)

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Add a couple of subs.(powered or w/separate amp) This will make your PA a lot more efficient and LOUDER. IMO your style of music needs a strong low freq. system. Later you can upgrade the main speakers and retire the ones you're using now to the practice room. :cool:

Archived