Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spam would have tasted better...

Aldena

Than last Saturday night's gig. I decided to make a top ten list of the things that conspired to spoil the fun. It was a backyard Holloween party, with costumes. I make a very convincing 70's hippie, btw. :cool:

Drum roll, please.........

10) We recently added 2 singers (husband and wife), and added 3 of their songs to the set list.

9) Then we re-scheduled the rehearsals with the new people around the drummers schedule, even though our frontman couldn't make any of them.

8) The drummer's wife needed his vehicle, and he hits me up for a ride. So now I arrive 1 1/2 hours later than planned, because he wasn't ready to go.

7) Set up took too long with the extra people, a new PA, and a bucket of tangled cords that someone didn't want to organize beforehand.

6) Somehow the new girl took it upon herself to make up the setlists, even though she doesn't know all our songs. How we went from Aerosmith, SRV, Led Zep, Stones, etc. to Linda Rondstat, I'll never know.

5) I couldn't get the new speaker cables in time, so the monitors were daisy chained to the mains. Then I couldn't get the volume on the mains high enough without feeding back on the monitors.

4) Wrong song for the sound check: 'When will I be loved' :bor: (although it did sound pretty good), and it didn't reveal any problems.

3) Turns out, the drummer couldn't hear the lead guitar at all, and we blew all the changes around the solos. We hacked up at least 4 other songs with confusion about who was supposed to sing or what key they were in.

2) Our stage setup sucked(contributing to the drummer's problems) because we had to accomodate another band for 1 set. Never again.

And the #1 reason spam would have tasted better:

1) The cops came after the other band played (they were way too loud), just after we started our second set. A few songs later, they returned and threatend to confiscate our equipment. We played for a total time of about 1 hour, and sucked while doing it.

Gee, that wasn't a very funny top ten list. Yeah, you should have been there, it was even less funny. :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn! As mentioned earlier: next will be better. Look on the bright side: sometimes You've got to experience situations like this, it makes You more aware of things and a lot more empathic. Plus You had a good story to tell :)

Still, sorry about your show.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

8) The drummer's wife needed his vehicle, and he hits me up for a ride. So now I arrive 1 1/2 hours later than planned, because he wasn't ready to go.
This is akin to helping friends move. If you show up and the drummer is not standing in the driveway with a stack of drums and box of stands, it's probably best to keep driving.

Sorry about your day.

- Matt W.

vaguely reminds me of one of my very first gigs back in highschool. It was at a chicken farm. Mostly metal/grunge covers; Metallica, Megadeth, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc... anyways... we played on a couple flatbed trailers, totally screwed up a couple songs, everyone was hanging out as far away from the "stage" as they could... and then our drummer's K5 blazer lost a wheel. It broke off. Thankfully, it was before we got on the highway, or we coulda has a pretty bad accident on our hands...

or there was that other time where we showed up at a club for a show, and there was a notice on the door that it had been closed by the health department.

or the other club that was still open but cancelled the whole show without telling us because one of the bands didn't show up...

What time did the cops show up? Unless your location of "SoCal" happens to exist inside of the State of Insanity, I know of no statute that allows police to confiscate anything that is not contraband (drugs, weapons, paraphenilia) or evidence (vehicles involved in accidents or commission of crimes, etc.) I can see it as being a VERY large stretch for music gear to be evidence used in the commission of a "crime" since violating the noise ordinance is usually barely even enough of a crime to get you fined.

Just a little rant. Sorry your gig sucked! Better luck next go-around.

Archived