Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a shout out to the Brand New Heavies

jeremy c

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read an interview with Andrew Levy in the now defunct "Bassist" magazine. Scary thing - if you took his answers at face value - he is very casual about bass playing. He never seemed to have studied the instrument seriously, claimed never to practice etc. I probably have the mag stored away somewhere, if I can lay hands on it I may post some of his responses.

I've read that same interview, the one where he talks about fashion {and why not - since half of the gear talk is predicated on fashion and fad ; } about as much as he speaks on anything else.

Anyway, had me some Heavies for ages. I love funky stuff like this, earlier Jamiroquai, some Me'Shell Ndegéocello stuff, that captures the early and later seventies soul and funk arrangement styles.

And there we are - back to styles ; }

That is crazy i just got the album yesterday as well! Was about to post a topic on them. I got it after reading about Stuart Zender and then finding out that it was actually the bass player from brand new heavies that played on 'When you gonna learn'.
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

The last funk band I played in played BNHs version of "Midnight At The Oasis". "You Are The Universe" has been circulated as a song to do for the cover band I'm currently rehearsing with (first gig Saturday). I've learned the part (there's even a simple but effective bass solo) but there's no guarantee we'll ever get around to playing it - I hope we do because the bass part will be fun to play, lots of scope to let fly in the outro........

(I always get BNH confused with Incognito and had to quickly check which song is by which band before posting this)

Used to be my favourite band. I also like how simple bass lines sound so good in some of their songs. My favourite bass is in Dream Come True: really carries the song through the whole length of the tune.

I also heard that Andrew Levy auditoned for Stuart Zender's post in Jamiroquai after Stu quit, but didn't get it. In my opinion, he should've.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

Originally posted by bc:

I always get BNH confused with Incognito and had to quickly check which song is by which band before posting this

Incognito are brilliant. Randy Hope Taylor has a great groove going.

BNH have a great sound, with a little bit of pop thrown in. I love that little solo, simple but effective.

Originally posted by tnb:

I believe the Sweet Willie is refering to BNH's poorly reviewed "Heavy Rhyme Experience: Vol. 1". It is one of my all time favorite CDs.

I knew I liked you for some reason... :)

This is also one of my faves, listened to it just yesterday (housework).

Brother Sister is mandatory listening for anyone seeking insight into simple groovy bass.

Levy has been on my "top players to study" list for years.

Interesting about the fashion thing.

I'd like to read that interview...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived