Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Headphone prob

Jabinski

I have brought some Phillips headphones to practice with at night but I've noticed that my bass doesn't sound very in tune when I play through it.

Does anyone have any idea at all why this is?

Yes, the bass is in tune!

Thanks in advance

I'm back in bass!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by getz76:

Your intonation is probably out.

I'd be inclined to agree with this, but there's also the possibility you're playing with gorilla technique. If you're gripping the strings too hard there may be a chance that you're bending them out of tune. This could be one of several possible causes of your tuning issue.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks for all replies.

My setup is a warwich rockbass corvett going through a Gallien Krueger backline 112 into my phillips headphones. No effects.

No offence taken, but it's not my technical flaws, as the out of tune sound occurs when I play any string however simply. What is strange is that throught the amp speakers it sounds fine.

A guy at my local bass shop did recently raise the action and he tinkered with the struss rob to straighten it.

I am pretty ignorant but my feeling was that it was something to do with the headphones...

I'm back in bass!

OK I've done some rudimentary work with my tuner to see if there's any intonation probs.

The only discrepency seems to be the 5th fret of the E string. The A there seems to be slightly sharp against the open A string. All the other strings seem to be ok in this regard. I don't see this accounting for how it sounds all over the fingerboard.

Experiment 2 was to roll the bass of on my bass and amp controls. It is improved through the headphones, ie sounds more in tune.

Where are we at now?

I'm back in bass!

OK I've done some rudimentary work with my tuner to see if there's any intonation probs.

The only discrepency seems to be the 5th fret of the E string. The A there seems to be slightly sharp against the open A string. All the other strings seem to be ok in this regard. I don't see this accounting for how it sounds all over the fingerboard.

Experiment 2 was to roll the bass of on my bass and amp controls. It is improved through the headphones, ie sounds more in tune.

Where are we at now?

I'm back in bass!

I was simply reporting one thing I have read. I thought it could be useful considering it was coming from a bass player (A. Caron) reputed (amongst other things)for his intonation on the fretless. Without any more detail, I thought that this piece of information simply added weigth to the idea that playing fretless using headphones might cause problem with intonation - and that the problem might reside with the headphones. I personnally do not experience such a problem when playing my fretless with headphones, but how would I know ? - given that I am pretty sure that my intonation sucks anyway, with or without headphones... ;)

Yes, I am unable to listen to any of my CDs or mp3 that have fretless bass on them through headphones.

Furthermore, I can't practice my fretless bass through any cabs that have smaller speaker in them. 15s sound in tune, 10s are starting to sound pretty poorly intonated, and those six inch speakers really sound HORRIBLE.

I mean, really...

/me searches for examples of doppler shift and its relationship to low EQing and resonance

Actually none of my CDs or mp3s with bass guitar sound good through headphones. That must be why keyboard bass really got popular back in the eighties - in conjunction with the popularity of Walkmans! Coincidence? I think NOT.

Archived