Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to find out a particular frequency..

Tenstrum

OK, on my 5-string Yamaha, I have the E string tuned down 1 and a half steps. So the 17th fret is now an F# insted of an A.

My question is, what is the exact frequency of that F#?

Did I say that right?

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tenstrum:

OK, on my 5-string Yamaha, I have the E string tuned down 1 and a half steps. So the 17th fret is now an F# insted of an A.

My question is, what is the exact frequency of that F#?

Did I say that right?

Yes, you said it right.

When tuned to standard A4 = 440 Hz, the E string is about 41 Hz (E1). Going up to the 17th fret would be A2 @ 110 Hz (exactly). With equal temperament tuning, the ratio between adjacent chromatic notes is the twelth-root of 2, approximately 1.05946. You've tuned down one and a half steps to F#2, which is 440/(12th-root of 2 raised to the 3rd power), or approximately 92.4986Hz.

I learned how to do this from information I found on Wikipedia.

Thanks dudes!

I saw that table, but I really didn't know what E my E string corresponds too ( wether it was E1,2, or 3...[sad, i know]).

Something else, that I would find handy is a chart that corresponds what frequencies are covered on the bass fretboard.

Any one got a handy web link to something like that?

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

This is certainly an interesting question, and the chart is definitely handy. I'm adding that to my favorites for future EQ reference. But back to the question at hand, are you trying to specifically notch that note out or boost it with a parametric EQ?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

From greenboy's link:

C#0/Db0 17.32[Hz] [...] Lowest bass guitar strings made

BUZZ...wrong. As proven in a recent thread by our very own knuckle_head, bass strings are now made to tune to at least 15.44Hz. I think this point brings the credibility of the maker of the chart into question. How can we be certain that an A is 440Hz if the chart says it? :rolleyes:

Archived