Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Traben Basses?

nomad

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Forum, nomad! :wave:

It's nice work, probably priced well for the custom-inlay and bridge market, but they're not available everywhere. I think a BadAss bridge will do just as much for bass sustain as one of these bridges, so I don't see the mechanical advantage.

Chances are this kind of work can be duplicated elsewhere by hundreds of other luthiers worldwide. If you're into custom basses, locate a luthier near you who has the time and interest and design your own instrument. It'll come out costing the same as one of these Trabens.

It is kinda cool for metal band performance.

These basses have the largest bridge plates I've ever seen on a bass guitar. Certainly, they have an enormous number of screws holding them down. Presumably this has to do with the amount of sustain they are supposed to deliver. No one has commented on this yet.

I take it you've tried a few models. If you haven't and just like the looks, you should check this out (apart from which, I'm curious to know how well they sustain myslef).

I don't know that changing the number of screws through the bridge has any positive effect on transmission/coupling. I replaced a bridge with a crapload of screws with one that only used three and there was no difference in sustain. The strings still vibrated with the same intesnity for the same length of time, and either bridge did the same with that.

Similarly, I haven't found that high-mass bridges are any more effective than well-designed lower-mass bridges, though they do seem tonally different. In fact brass does sound a little duskier in what it sustains than aluminum which seems to transmit and sustain more of the brighter overtones.

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

Chances are this kind of work can be duplicated elsewhere by hundreds of other luthiers worldwide. If you're into custom basses, locate a luthier near you who has the time and interest and design your own instrument. It'll come out costing the same as one of these Trabens.

A custom bass for $500??? Who's your luthier?

Archived