Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass shopping at TARGET

saxofunk

So I round the corner in the electronics department at the local SuperTarget and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but an assortment of guitars and a genuine electric bass.

Looks like the folks at Washburn and Target have teamed up to get the Lyon brand back on the market, and Target is carrying a line of instruments and accessories including electric and acoustic guitars, a P-style bass, a wah pedal, a distortion pedal, strings, amps (15 watt models for guitar and bass), drumsticks, picks, capos, etc. I picked up the capo - for $2.99 I figured it's not a bad investment to fiddle with until I figure out if I will use it enough to justify a quality piece.

If you need an entry level axe, maybe this is the way to go. While you're at it, pick up a Borg alto sax at Sam's Club.

- Matt W.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The local Hastings book store had a music/cd/music book/software area in the middle of the store and across the back wall were several "strat" style guitars, a "P" style bass and a couple of acoustics. If forgot what brand they were, but I could swear in an anceient, unknown Sanskrit dialect, it meant "Made from the finest quality spruce plywood"

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Wal Mart has been pushing those "First Act" instruments for a long time, and they are absolute CRAP. They are not instruments. (And their basses cost about what a good entry-level Yamaha fetches on eBay!) A friend of mine teaches school band in the US, & every now & then a kid will come in with a dept. store instrument. He hates to break it to them, but the instrument won't tune properly, & ultimately is just not playable.

However, Washburn is a different story, and I've always thought the Lyon looked like a very good entry-level line. Hopefully the clueless-but-well-meaning parent will be shopping for that bass at Target, instead of Wal Mart! Anyway, it sounds like good news to me. Way to go, Target. (Although I wonder how Target's tech service is... :D )

Wonder if Target will carry Lyons in Australia...

Last Christmas, my aunt was about to buy her kid a 'First Act' bass... Luckily, I swayed her to musiciansfriend.com and talked her into getting him an OLP MusicMan copy for a little over the W-M price for their First Act POS.

It sounds wonderful, he's still jamming on it. Good decision.

BTW, sounds like Target found another way to get WM at their own game. If I were just starting out, I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in public with a Lyon.

...First Act? Only if I had three ears, webbed feet, walked with a limp, and needed something to distract people from staring at my own hideousness.

(Just hope this post doesn't get me kicked off the First Act BBS).

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

A couple of years ago my local BJs Warehouse and Sams Club had a few Epiphone starter packages. And I've seen the Wal-Mart "specials". :freak:

Haven't seen it at Target yet but I spend most of my time there searching for bargain DVDs.

I stopped in a convenience store in Charlotte, NC once and saw unidentifiable electric guitars hanging on the wall.

My drummer at the time almost bought one. :eek:

Sale price: $50.00 each. Gig bag not included.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

A 5th grade girl of mine showed up this year with a pink violin. I feel so badly for her. She comes from a poor family, I'm sure they thought they got a "deal" on it online. I found one like hers on eBay for a starting bid (no reserve) of $6.99!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIOLINS-FIDDLES-PINK-4-4-VIOLIN-FIDDLE-W-CASE-BOW_W0QQitemZ7358744782QQcategoryZ38108QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What are parents thinking? If only they would ask teachers before they buy. We put a very strongly worded "warning" in our brochure for next year.

A local mall near mine has a store inside that is primarily for Cds Dvds, stuff like that. I was goin to check out some Cd's and to my surprise there was a whole rack of g*****s and basses. The G*****s were telecaster and stratocaster squires. The basses were Washburns and Squires. I couldn't help myself but pick one up and play.

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

Originally posted by dcr:

Wal Mart has been pushing those "First Act" instruments for a long time, and they are absolute CRAP.

never before, has a statement been so true, or at least since the girls only want boyfriends who have great skills remark. my friend amanda bought a first act six string electric with a little practice amp(no need for dismay, she plays the bass now and has a pretty nice epiphone and a decent amp). not only did it sound like garbage, (the first act, not the epiphone) most local music stores refuse to repair them (probably to the owners benefit ;) ). it was a total P.O.S. (pardon my abbreviation)but i think it is still in pointless existence, it would be better put to use as firewood. i'm not totally sure exactly what happened to the amp, but i'm almost positive it's been fried by use not any type of abuse.

!!!!!NEVER BUY FIRST ACT INSTRUMENTS!!!!!

hmmm...

This certainly has been kind of weird but equally welcome. I know that just over the weekend I was in one of these big box stores and walked by the display and saw bass strings for sale. I did a little bit of a double take seeing that.

In a move that makes a little more sense, I've also noticed that some of the mall based music stores (Sam Goody, Musicland) have been selling instruments too. It seems to correlate a little better than WalMart or Target, but who am I to complain...I'm not buying instruments there.

The good thing I see in this is that it gets music and instruments more into the minds of people who wouldn't necessarily walk into a music shop. If a kid can get a cheap starter instrument at one of these places and works his/her way to becoming a great player, then why isn't this a good thing? As for the way these big box stores seem to gobble up other local businesses? Thankfully the musical instrument industry seems to be a little too specialized for them to make an impact on local music stores.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by SteveC:

A 5th grade girl of mine showed up this year with a pink violin. I feel so badly for her. She comes from a poor family, I'm sure they thought they got a "deal" on it online.

At my school last year, a girl in the other orchestra came to school with a purple violin that was similar, but I don't think it was made of wood. I didn't get a good look at it, but it looked plastic or fiberglass or something, and our teacher could not get it to stay in tune. I felt bad for her, for a similar reason.

Originally posted by Nicklab:

Thankfully the musical instrument industry seems to be a little too specialized for them to make an impact on local music stores.

ahem... Guitar Center, anyone?

I know many a mom-n-pop music store that were choked by these guys, including the world-famous Werlein's in New Orleans.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

After reading all this I went straight to target.com and looky what I found

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-2/qid=1129864023/ref=sr_2_2/601-4218249-3594540?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0002ZGELM

more than just the washburn lyons

I didn't know the Behringer starter packs were there too

Cabbage: Pronounced- cuh-bah-ge

Element Broken: www.elementbroken.iwarp.com

Archived