Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEW GIG! HAIRSPRAY !

bassaddik

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a great gig and the audition process makes it seem all the better, mano. Actually congrats are due to a number of people around this forum for their advancements in careers/gig placement, musical knowledge, playing skills, management and leadership savvy, and good gear.

I've been reading back into some threads and got to say that young and old seem to be going places. Way to go, y'all!

• 3 months later...

funny you should ask, dr. sweet willie. i JUST got the edited book and i am spending serious time with it. there is a good bit of music to cover, and some of it flies by. it is also about precision, so i want to get it well under my belt before the first rehearsal which will be Jan 30th- then we have a preview show Fb 6, so essentially 5 days of rehearsal and go. A bit scary, but if i put my time in now, i should be ok. Francisco Centeno ( the bassist for the NYC show ) is an animal, he plays the daylights out of the show, i have cds with his headphone mix, and he is just smokin'.

the whole NYC band kicks, it's a very high level of musicianship on Broadway. Lots of key sig changes in just about every tune so i have to be heads up. some tempos just fly by and the notes have to be just right. Then there are areas where there's room to put a little of myself in, Francisco plays some great tasty stuff.

My daughter arrives for a visit at the end of Jan, so i am neck deep in it this week now so i can spend good time with her then - a lot of it is easy, but there a couple of tunes that are challenging. It's a lot of fun. I pray the Lord keep my health ( i forewent the chemo offer for a more naturopathic approach and so far i feel great )so i can enjoy this gig for a while- i will keep you posted!- Adrian

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

• 2 weeks later...
Amen, Adrian, and thanks for all the info. I have always wondered if I would be good enough to even go to an audition. Not yet worked up the nerve to find out, though. But with your play-by-play, when the time comes, I'll know more about the process and won't be quite as scared.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

you never know, my man. i came from Fla to Vegas in 2001 with a sweet gig i had auditioned for ( i flew in for the day! in at

11:00 am, fly back at 11:pm )

since that gig ended, i have auditioned for Cirque du Soleil , Mamma Mia, and the now closed We Will Rock You, and though I did well, i only got as far as being offered to be the substitute bassist. This time it paid off, you really never know. In my opinion, it's all preordained by a higher power, and I think everyone knows which higher power i believe in. I have heard some people say " i won't go to that audition, i know they have decided already who got the gig" and then , last minute, someone else will walk away with it. Never hurts to try, sometimes it hurts not to get a gig, but in Vegas, i have learned not to cry too much if it doesn't work out, i have learned to swing and miss.. but you gotta take the swing!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Adrian -

My youngest daughter is a big fan of musicals, and Hairspray is one of her favorites, along with The Pirates of Penzance and Guys and Dolls. I showed her your message that you had gotten the gig in Vegas and she flipped. She asked me if I knew you (I told her only by what I read on this board), and if I could get an autograph for her. So, as a doting dad, can I get an autograph for her? You can e-mail me at thabottemend@yahoo.com if you could and I can give you the details. I think you just became one of her heroes! :D

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Archived