Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Out of curiousity. . .

rooster6550

Was just sitting at the kitchen table, doing the band books. . .

When all (should) be said and done, by Jan. 1, I'll have played about 160 nights in 2005.

Just curious. . .Does anybody else out there keep tabs? How many nights a year do you gig?

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My bandmates do since they play music for a living. I, as a weekend warrior, do not. But we average about two nights a week. Three more often than not.
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Being a part time gigger, I don't keep tabs either. I can go without a gig for up to 2 months and suddenly get called in to back up one of a number of local artists. I can then be busy up to 4 nights a week for 2 months at a time.

Lets say about 80 days a year (maybe more).

I keep track of everything for tax purposes. I have a Word document I update every week.. dates, where I go, how many miles I drive, how much I make, what I spend on gear, clothing and supplies, motels and meals if applicable, ANYTHING band-related. I also keep receipts... I'm gigging 40+ weekends a year.... The IRS considers this a business, most clubs will 1099 ya... you might as well treat it as such...

Back when I was in a NY based coverband, we were booked 16 - 18 gigs every month. It was a pretty solid schedule. I guess that's almost 200 gigs per year.

I had little pickup gigs and showcases as well. Man...I was doing a lot of playing a year ago.

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

Archived