Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happiness

ArwinH

After years in school spent working tediously over core classes, I've finally opened my shcedule enough to allow some music classes.

I'm taking a college level music theory class, as well as an intermediate jazz band class. Starting tomorrow I'll also be splitting charts with the advanced jazz band bass player. And then, in short time I'll be playing full time in the advanced jazz band. I'll also be taking urb lessons while covering the urb position in the school orchestra. My reading is 10 times better than it was before this year started, and I get to work on my theory as well.

It's lot different than it was 5 years ago, when I signed up for a band class without any real musical, reading, or theory skills.

I've even taken a few bass solos ;) . And they weren't because the fire alarm was broken!

Anybody have similar experiences?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the boredom factor is what sets a lot of people (myself included) off ...

But then again, I am currently trying really hard to learn Norwegian (out of sheer interest) and as boring as it gets to try and remember the grammatical rules and work on vocabulary and conjugations day after day, I get a kick out of the learning process.

It does help that I have someone who is really helpful and patient with me, and always ready to answer any question I have, and always tries to make sense of my poorly written Norwegian sentences :D

So why the hell can't I get myself to study music theory? I know what the benefits will be, in fact music theory would be more helpful to me than learning a new language (granted, music is a language in itself) but perhaps I just need someone to guide me through it.

So Arwin, I really hope that there will be someone at your side who believes in you and who makes the journey easier on you, just by his or her presence :thu: And by all means, let us know how it all progresses !!!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

The theory class is actually quite interesting and when it gets dull I can kind of doze off because I already knoe a lot of the material from havin a hardass music teacher for 4 years and playing a lot of gigs with older (40-50's) musicians who already have their shit together). Today we actaully watched a video of moanin with art blakey, freddie hubbard, and a few other cool players. In jazz band we've been playing the yellowjackets, dizzy gillespie, and some compositions that have been played by alot of hip players. We even got to watch videos of performances with neil stubenhaus/Vinie Callouita, and El Negro/ John Pattituci/ Micheal Brecker.

It's been good so far.

I'm looking forward to enrolling in a Jazz program at our local college. I was going to audition for it this year and see if I can get into their part-time program for 2006, but I think I'll wait until next year just to give me some more time to get it all down a bit better.

Good luck with the classes, they sound great :thu: I hope I'm posting the same thing at the beginning of 2007.

;)

I didn't learn music theory from a textbook. I learned it listening to a lot of good jazz from the past century and playing out a lot. I've gone back to theory books now and then to make sense of it, but my mind refuses to make the notes jump out of the page and into my consciousness. Hence, I'm a better listener than a reader.

But I'm VERY happy anyway! :wave:

I've had a year of drum lessons. Not only has it been fun (re: happy) but, as you can imagine, my rhythm site reading has improved enormously, as has my appreciation for the bass/drum interface. I've come a long way in that year and can play in a worship band without making an a**e of myself. My instructor is much more complimentary, but I'm too modest ...

I started playing bass in a jazz & big band. It's a very good start in life. Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Originally posted by ArwinH:

I have my first ever urb lesson in exactly one week, wish me luck!!!

Good luck! I played URB for 1 year in high school orchestra. It was a lot of fun.

By the way, what's the word on your Rob Allen?

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

The rob allen will be ready very soon. But I haven't gotten word from Rob yet. I'm gonna check up on thing in a little bit, he's had the body finished for quie a while now.

Today was a little tougher than usual in the band room. After I did the first hour of jazz band, I was given half the charts from the second band, and I played em on the spot!

Archived