Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i need suggestions

BassPIMP

My band and I are relatively new and this means that we still lack some equipment. I need some help chosing a bass amp. What im looking for is a cabinet with at least 500 watts of power and a good amp head to go along with it. I need suggestions. I was looking at two different cabinets as of right now: the Hartke 410XL and the Ampeg SVT-410HE. As far as amp heads go, I have no idea which i might get, I know that whatever make my cabinet is, my head will be. I also would like an amp head with good power above 500 watts.

So please give me you input on what you guys think as far as suggestions and which one you think has better sound quality.

-Basspimp

-Basspimp

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Low Down Forum, BassPIMP.

It's a very difficult thing to recommend gear to someone that we've just barely met, so be prepared to answer a few more questions, some of which may seem like we're second-guessing what you want, but really we just want to get to know you well enough to provide a great recommendation.

I have a few starter questions:

1) What's your budget like?

2) What bass do you play?

3) What's your band setup? Guitar, drums, bass, and vocals? What kind of amp do(es) your guitarist(s) use?

4) What kind of music do you guys play? What kinds of music do you personally like to play?

5) What types of venues do you see yourself performing in? Small clubs? School talent shows? 40,000-seat arenas? :)

6) How strong are you and how big of a vehicle do you have access to?

Also, as a side note it's normally said that cabinets have 500 watts "power handling" and amps have 500 watts of power. Small detail. :)

I would also like to add i own a Fender Jazz Bass...customized...so keep that in mind..and in response to clarkw also was a sound technician for my school band so i know how the wattage specification on amp cabinets work...sorry i didn't mention that...
-Basspimp

Thank you ClarkW for responsing,

Thank you for your message because i did forget to mention these things when i posted my topic, to be truthful it flew right over my head. In response to your questions i will answer themn in order:

1)our budget has actually taken a recent blow because we finish purchasing a mixer, a mic stand and two PA's. However we are booked for a few shows coming up now and we should make up for it. I have been borrowing my Friends Ampeg combo amp but lately i've been needing something bigger and my own. I use a small 20 practice amp for our practices.

2)I play a 1978 Custom Made Fender Jazz Bass. It has custom Maple wood neck with mother of pearl inserts(not that it matters now) but it is an American made Fender Jazz Bass with about 30 years of age on it. I was a hand me down in case you were wondering.

3)Our Set-up is a Drummer, Lead Guitar, Rhythem Guitar, Bass Guitar, and out Lead guitarist is Vocalist. Our Lead Guitarist plays with a Fender Single Reverb Amp. And out rhythem has a Marshall Half-Stack with a Marshall amp head.

4)My band is a alternative rock band / classic rock. We have a few covers which we play at our shows but we are still in the process of writing songs. I personally learned how to play guitar first, I played blues and smooth jazz, rock was something I began to play as a guilty pleasure. I picked up bass in my middle school jazz band(I am currently only in high school, sophmore) and my teacher said i have real talent on the bass so i stuck to it. I Personally practice my bass playing by playing a lot of blues progressions, writing walks, and i love playing red hot chili peppes' music.

5)In the past i had a school career, we actually did a wide range of shows with our jazz band, competitions, school performances and of course tibutes and school monument dedications. My band actually are decendants of our schools rock ensemble, which i was a guitarist for, therefore, we have credibility throughout my neighborhood. While we have only been doing small shows, we are booked for a few bigger events coming up. Another reason why I an looking for more power.

6)We have a band van...plenty of space...i can bench press 220...

-Basspimp

I ran a search on SWR just now, more specifically the model that he suggested and read a bad review on it. It talked about it having bad tone quilty in the lows...should i believe it? I also ran looked at the link you sent me and he has two pretty good 4x10's with good power. Just curious do you know of any shops which might carry these?
-Basspimp

Avatar only sells direct. You might be able to pick one up used, but that's a bit rare.

I'll save you some time (just as JC did earlier). On talkbass.com (a pretty decent forum as well), their forums have a rig that they suggest to virtually everyone who asks. It is a Avatar 2x12 (from Clark's link) with a Ashdown Mag 300. Avatar has a special where you save a couple bucks on the combo. It's the general consensus that Avatar and Ashdown are both very solid, economic options for bass players. You won't be able to find much better in that price range.

www.bgra.net has reviews as well as talkbass.com . Welcome to the forum.

In Skynyrd We Trust

I've been an SWR user for many years (since before you were born BassPimp, not that that means diddley-squat). There is no problem with the lows.

The new Workingman series heads are a little more affordable and the one I saw last week has a new control which will give you earth-shaking lows.

It's not really a good idea for band members to chip in and buy equipment. It will always cause problems in the future. Been there, done that, fought over the t-shirt in small-claims court.

Never trust reviews online when you can find out for yourself. SWR is carried by the major chains (Guitar Center and Sam Ash) and by pretty much every online dealer. You can find a dealer from the SWR website, which you can now find through Fender's website since they were acquired by Fender about two years ago.

I had an Avatar B212. I didn't like it and sold it. For the money, it was fine, but it didn't compare to my Acme cabinets or Bergantino cabinets. The Acmes are competitively price but require a large amount of power to sound good. The Bergantinos are very expense but are relatively efficient.

Carvin also makes a 4x10" cabinet that is relatively nicely priced.

Go to a couple of shops and play what they have; most Guitar Centers carry SWR, Ampeg, and Aguilar. I know Sam Ash carries Peavey gear.

no more trusting online reviews from now on in that case...and earth trembling lows are exactly what i'm looking for so i'll defenitely chack it out...carvin was a company i actually forgot about as well as Mesa, i was checking out mesa and i was actually impressed by their stuff...let me know what you guys think
-Basspimp

Originally posted by BassPIMP:

i can see why...and actually we haven't made that mistake...we sorta split the money in four ways and buy for ourselves what we need...

This is what is usually called "The Ideal Way of Doing Things."

Oops, they are called WorkingPro series amps now so as to not offend half the people in the world.

But now they are offending all the non-pros which is about 99% of the people in the world.

Oh well.

Definitely check out the Workingpro 700 amp.

And if you go on the SWR website, you can even enter a sweepstakes to win one along with two cabinets!

(I don't get paid by SWR to say any of this stuff)

Originally posted by Social Critic:

Originally posted by jeremy c:

SWR SM-500 and an SWR Goliath III (4x10) should do the job nicely.

ka-BOOM!
The Goliath III is the best cabinet for the money I've ever owned, and I owned plenty in my time. I don't own an SM-500 but one of my friends does and he refuses to sell it; he runs his with an Ampeg 4x10 cabinet (his mistake).

http://www.reelclassics.com/Actors/Heston/images9/heston_10c_staffstretch.jpg

jeremy speaks with the voice of Charlton Heston on this one. :D

Archived