Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Bass

Silas

Hello everyone, I've been around here for a bit, but this is my first time posting. I've been playing bass now for about 6 months.

From what I've seen so far, when people around here speak of "acoustic basses" they mean upright ones. I would like to know what you all think of the "other" kind of acoustic bass, the type that looks an awful lot like a big, long, acoustic guitar with four strings. Are they worth it? Has anyone used one?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a cheap Johnson Acoustic (around $200). Huge body and loud for the style, but none of the ones available now will keep up with a determined guitarist on acoustic (mine will keep up with one of those travel 3/4 guitars). I record a lot with mine because you can get timbre characteristics you just can't get with your solid electric or upright. Great to play areond the house as well.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Welcome, Silas! :wave:

I think acoustic bass guitars (a.k.a., ABGs) are pretty cool, but I've never played one. Even if they do need amplified once other instruments join the mix (as I have read often here on the LDL), they do often have a sound different than solid-body electrics or upright acoustic basses (a.k.a., URBs).

For example, listen to what Jonas Hellborg does with an ABG on his CD, The Silent Life. :thu:

I'd like to try some of the acoustic-electric basses like the Godins that Max Valentino uses or even the Carvin acoustic-electrics. BP mag also did a review recently of two ABGs, one of which was the Victor Bailey Fender ABG.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Its good to hear that they are out there and being used to some effect. Its going to be a hard desicion when the time comes to buy some new equipment (if I've managed to pick up any jargon here, I think the term GAS applies here). Do I get an ABG, or a new amp, or upgrade pickups....or do I get overloaded and just stuff the money away in a savings account and stick with what I have. ;) Thanks for all the info here guys, I look forward to spending more time around.

Silas,

Welcome to the Lowdown.

As you have noticed, around here we call that instrument an ABG...acoustic bass guitar.

If you use the handy-dandy search button, you can find lots of mentions of them.

I own one, but rarely use it...it's not loud enough unplugged to play along with anyone and plugged in it causes all kind of feedback problems.

I have heard it and seen it used effectively.

As Willie says, Jonas Hellborg does some wonderful things with his.

Once I saw Abe Laboriel playing and he pulled one out and used it on a few songs. He sounded great (he always sounds great).

Archived