Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Something out of place at the concert...

Danzilla

Ever been to a concert, and known that something was out of place? Even before the show starts?

Last Friday (9/23), my wife & I went to see Caedmon's Call (her favorite group, and high on my list too). 4th row seats; pretty nice. Stage lights were dim as we were being seated. I saw, in the back center, the bass layer's spot; no amp, but a bass on a stand. Hmm... looks like a Modulus or an Alembic, 5 string... Jeff Miller, CC's bass player normally uses a Stingray or a Jazz. Wonder if he's switched, or not here. When they started, I knew it wasn't Jeff. But a more than competent replacement, playing some great fretless bass. After the second song, they introduced him... none other than Trip Wamsley! They even gave him a solo spot later on in the show; he used a fretted 4-string Jazz to play this funky piece; quirky breaks, and he looped it and was right on with those breaks when they came back around. The man is awesome. I'll let him tell you about the encore... :P

I picked up his "It's Better This Way" disc, and hung out a bit. Got to meet him and chat for a bit. What a nice guy. I mentioned I was on the Lod LD and he didn't run away! We talked for a bit, and surprisingly enough, it wasn't too much about bass; he was just so comfortable to speak with that we talked about family and stuff. So much so that I even forgot to do the "take your picture with a rock star" thing. Nice guy; hoping his family is safe from the hurricanes (CC is based in Houston and had a tough time getting to the show). Trip drove straight through from Louisiana to Baltimore for the show, but still took the time to talk for a while.

Trip Wamsley- good guy! :thu:

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trip is amazing. You should hear him play this thing (and sing at the same time!):

http://www3.alembic.com/img/trip_frontview.jpg

Nice to hear that he can play a four string bass as well. :D

Sounds like you really lucked out at the concert.

Hope the regular bassist didn't get seriously ill or something like that.

Jeremy- I was hoping to see that creature, once I found out it was Trip. Guess he had to tame things a bit for this crowd. Someday I'll track him down on a solo show.

Jeff Miller, the normal bass player, has taken some time off since the birth of his first child; so he's as well as he's going to get for the next 18 years or so.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived