Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My search for a 6 is over..

DONUT

At least for a while. I gambled and bought the Black Pedulla Tunderbolt. Brown brought it today. Its SUPER nice. Its really easy to play and the tone is really lively and growly. I'm glad I took a chance on it. I'm not crazy about the looks of the thing, but I don't really care. Its comfy and sounds great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/hzdonut/IM009805.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad, I suppose, but I'd pass it for one reason: it's not a full two octave neck (24 frets). It may be better for slapping because of that, though.

No, I'm not a virtuoso, but with a 6 string, I could do all of those silly, Claypoolesque things and crush John Myung with one. :D

But, have fun with it! :)

Not really using the C string too much for my classic rock gig. A couple of chords here and there. Some double stops. I figured out a way to play the keyboard line in "Wish You were Here". The opening chords to "The Fez" sound cool when I play them with the guitars an octave lower. I think the recording is keys. I suspect I will end up playing all sorts of goofy stuff now that I have a 6 that I don't wanna throw in the fireplace. The Pedulla sounds good with the band.

Excellent choice! Agree with you that the 6s potential opens up when you work on chords. Trust me, you really won't need those extra two frets unless you plan on firing your guitar player. OK, it isn't a top-shelf Pedulla but at least you'll be able to make the mortgage and insurance payments this month.

Hope you two have many loving years together! :thu:

That's a good looking instrument, Donut. Congrats on the new acquisition. Every so often I see a Pedulla Thunderbolt 6 and I'm struck with the urge to try one out. I hope it serves you well.

As someone who's played 6 for a long time, I can at least offer this. You've definitely got a lot more options in the high end. Finding a way of incorporating the C string can be even trickier than when someone makes the move from 4 string to 5. You want to use the C string, but certainly not overuse it. The best advice I can offer is this: try to play as many things as possible in the first position instead of shifting up the neck. If you use a one finger per fret fingering style, you've got 2 full octaves of 6 keys at your disposal without making a single position shift. That's a pretty cool thing to have at your disposal.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived