Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Double Fantasy" - Tony Levin

Man. I found out that Tony Levin played on this album a long time ago. Recently I started listening to it again and WOW. Talk about some bad ass playing. What he does on the song "Woman" alone is worth the purchase price so you can listen and study what he does. It's some great stuff. Check it out. Check it out now.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I've been listening to a Paul Simon compilation, songs I've known forever, but I'm really impressed with the bass. Simon has always surrounded himself with the best musicians, & the bass chair is no exception--Bakithi Kumalo, Anthony Jackson, the Muscle Shoals rhythm section, etc. And who plays on "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover," but Tony Levin. It's the kind of bass Levin does best: it's totally solid, totally serving the song, & in the verses it carries everything--it's really the only melodic instrument--yet in an understated, supporting way. It's little surprise that this guy is in the kind of demand he is.

I really, really need to get his solo albums.

Originally posted by dcr:

I really, really need to get his solo albums.

Me too! I only have his stuff with Peter Gabriel,King Crimson and Govt Mule (one song). I visit his website from time to time.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

It should be noted... because I'm a jackass and I assume that everyone knows the John Lennon catalog like I do... Double Fantasy is a John Lennon album, not a TL solo album. The Lennon guy sure knew how to surround himself with some talent.

Right. (Hope I didn't mislead anyone--I sort of switched gears there.) According to Amazon, TL's solo albums are: "Double Espresso," "Pieces of the Sun," "Waters of Eden," "World Diary," and "Prime Cuts."

For some reason, although I've been a big Beatles fan for (literally!) all my life, I never got into post-Beatles stuff that much. Shame on me. I should go listen to "Double Fantasy"...

Archived