Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best show I've seen in 20 years.

I just got back from seeing Neil Finn at the 9:30 Club in DC. Excellent show. I don't know if I've ever seen an band and an audience connect this well ever. Neil's always had a wonderful voice and is an amazing songwriter. The crowd was so familiar with the songs that the encore turned into a nine song event like I've never seen. It'll probably take me until the morning for it all to sink in. I'm a happy guy to have been a part of this. :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure alot of people know of Neil Finn,last year(?) I was raving about a Neil Finn concert with backing band including Eddie Vedder,Radioheads rhythm section,guitarist from the Smiths amongst others .These guys turned up to play cause they're big Neil Finn fans. OK I admit it was on a, er , another web site .No one was interested.Pity I felt like I was participating in musical history just by being there.I was a truly amazing concert.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

Crowded House and Split Enz were his prior bands. Neil writes songs that hold up to the test of time. He doesn't base his music on the sounds of the week (I've never heard a gated snare on one of his tunes that I can recall, even though Hugh Padgham produced some of his stuff). He played three Split Enz tunes last night and they still hold up almost 20 years later.

TinderArts, you'd probably really like Paul Melancon, the guy that our bass player and I will be backing up in L.A. He's a huge Neil/Crowded House fan and writes great pop songs in that vein, and has a really good voice. You can hear some of his stuff at http://www.paulmelancon.com .

Neil Finn is hugely underrated. Not up there with Lennon/McCartney but not miles behind them either.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Archived