Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dream Theater - Live at Budokan - DVD

Tenstrum

3 words...

Ho! Ly! Crap!

You all have got to check out this DVD. Rent it, buy it, steal it ;) , but watch it!

My only complaint is too much Portnoy/Petrucci face time and not enough Myung bass time.

Still though, these guys blow me out of the water every time I see/hear them.

My personal favorite is when the do the "Instrumedly" version of all the wild instrumental parts of many of thier songs. I just don't see how they flawlessly go from song part to song part without missing a beat. My brain would explode from trying to remember all that stuff (even if I could play it in the first place).

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all my years of being a Myung fan and DT fanatic, I have never heard such shining reviews on this forum. I have heard the words "overprocessed" and "mechanical" and "boring" a lot though. I'm glad I'm not the only fan out here.

My heart swells. I gotta go - I'm getting verklempt . . .

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I thought about picking it up, but i'm not much of a DT fan any more. Used to be a huge fan, saw 'em 3 times between 1994 and 2001. I got kinda burned out on 'em tho, and I'm not a big fan of Jordan Rudess, their newest keyboard player. But maybe I'll check it out...

DT is a sick band man, I saw them live recently at GiganTour at Jones Beach...under-rated band I think. I mean, yea there's the criticisms but they force you to listen. I need to listen to their songs more than once before I can totally envision the picture they paint with notes.

Very cool band, and very good live. And I had my eyes on the bassist the whole show...he definately knows his instrument.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

You know, something that I've noticed about this board is how little Myung is mentioned. He's an incredible player. Why don't more people like him?

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

You know, something that I've noticed about this board is how little Myung is mentioned. He's an incredible player. Why don't more people like him?

Be careful, some people think DT's overrated. Anyway, it's because of Myung that I bought my 5 string in the first place. :) The only thing I don't like of his style is the soloing (or is it wanking?) aspect of it. Other than that, he's great.

I dont really like dreamtheater, and one of the reasons is cause you can't hear him at all on the albums. And when i saw them live, i kind of liked them at the time, I couldn't really hear him except for his metropolis solo.
We distort. You abide.

I didn't know RT played a six!! JM is stand out in the Budokan mix, the scenes from New York is well mixed also.

I think DT music is so complex and full of emotion it takes a certain amount of time to get it but when you do ya sometimes feel other bands are short changing you. The level of interplay is fantastic and what I love about this music is that it is composed and performed the some way each night as opposed to fusion or Jazz where the musianship is on a similar level but the music is winged. Don't get me wrong I have nothing but respect for that kind of ability I just prefer it composed.

Overrated? Maybe if they couldn't pull that stuff of live....

IMO DT is an awesome band that fully deserve all the props they get and more.

I damn sure couldn't pull their songs off...

Tenstrum

I agree with Tenstrum here - these guys perform flawlessly and the energy at their live shows honestly is incredible.

I remember where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard "Pull Me Under" and have been a dedicated fan ever since. Like Ricky says, they make you listen. It isn't just musical masturbation - this is well thought out and composed monster-prog.

I will agree however with those who view LaBrie as the weak link in the band. That 80's voice can be a little grating at times.

It was a girl who turned me on to DT (amongst others :rolleyes::D ) and I have been a loyal fan ever since then. Think I was 15, so that makes for about 9 to 10 years now.

Their latest offering is not my cup 'o' tea, but then again I've only listened to it once. Perhaps my current mindset will have me see (and hear) this album in a different way ...

John Myung is definitely one of my fave players. I have the Official Bootleg DVD of their When Dream And Day Reunite concert, and on it Mike Portnoy remarks that Myung used to play more "lead bass" and from Images & Words onwards took a more roots approach. Which is true, I guess, but still ... I wish I could play as "rootsy" as Myung can ...

Oh, I have tickets for their show next month :cool:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Ya know, I've heard several DT fans say they are disappointed in Octavarium, myself included. The performances are still stellar, but the album just isn't as "good" as some of their past efforts. Train of Thought really kicked @$$ and I guess I was expecting Octavarium to be more along that line.

I've actually gotten more Respect for Labrie. His last solo album was great! Check it out. It's called Elements of Persuasion.

I really do think that Myung is under appreciated. Wish my fingers were that fast and accurate...

Tenstrum

Ya know, it took me awhile to appreciate 6 Degrees too. I had to listen to it a lot. But Octavarium just isn't sucking me in like Train Of Thought. Endless Sacrifice is currently the song that is in my head the most. That and Out Of Exile by Audioslave.

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

Because no one can hear him!

I have the "Change of Seasons" CD and the Medley is my favorite, absolutely blew me away.

I have the "Metropolis 2000" DVD and it is good, but JM might just as well have stayed home. He's completely lost in the mix.

I've been wondering about the 'Boudokan' DVD but have been hesitant because of 'Metropolis'.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I made a DT compilation for myself (about 10 songs from 5 albums i think), but overall i'm not much of a fan. The drummers i've played with are all into Portnoy, but personally i think he overdrums on most of the stuff. Maybe it just has to do with the music they play though. I've seen the DVD and obviously all band members are top notch but their music is too 'diverse' for me. Sometimes i feel that they are adding parts to the songs only to make them more complicated.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

Archived